BitFenix Prodigy Case Released in Green and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extremely popular enclosure. I wanted to do a mod with one, but then there have been about 30 or so mods I have seen mostly involving putting as much hardware as possible in a tiny case.
yawn

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I want to do a build in one of these cases but waiting for a something like the Asetek 760GC Combo Liquid Cooler with a 240 double thick radiator. This way I can cool my CPU and GPU in one shot in this a small form factor.

Ahh cramming parts into ITX rigs. Honestly quite a bit of fun.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
The most important thing is whether the new cases fixed the weak handles on these. I wanted to do a Prodigy build but I've read a lot of reports that the handles will break and are held on with weak plastic.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Great little case, I have one. Only thing I have against it is the weight of it. Lian Li make cases sooo much lighter. Yes, I know, Lian Li do all aluminum, but it wouldn't hurt for some parts of the prodigy to be aluminum as well would it?

ninjaroot

Honorable
May 11, 2013
wait.. the article says micro-atx!! wooooohooo. This case now actually support Micro Atx motherboards? off to order a few dozen of these now.. this is great news. Been waiting for them to support Micro ATX forever. Glad its finally done.

ninjaroot

Honorable
May 11, 2013
crap.. Bitfenix website still says these cases WILL NOT support Micro-ATX motherboards.. Now there is no way Tomshardware would make such a huge mistake reporting that it would , so maybe Bitfenix just doesn't want to officially say it fits in case some boards are too long? can anyone confirm that Micro-ATX mobos do fit?

ninjaroot

Honorable
May 11, 2013
thx. too bad. I understand mistakes happen but didn't think one that big would be possible, since this person did his own rewrite of the article from techpowerup. He even says Micro-ITX ( which doesn't even exist) so this reviewer probably is more of a "blogger" and less of an actual technical reviewer, which is totally fine I just was surprised to see that here.
Anyways, lets hope Bitfenix comes out with a Micro ATX version of this case... it would do extremely well in the market.

If you want to see a rather small and interesting mATX case, check out the FT03 by SilverStone, but remember it has NO screws holding the panels on so care must be taken when moving it. It has some other minor issues such as hotter hard drive temps due to the behind board location, but I think it is a rather solid case as long as you do not plan to bring it to lan parties.

My current layout if you are interested in seeing how things fit in this case.

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/1358/dsc0458s.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/4854/ft03back.jpg <- yes I removed the hotswap bay to add some backside cooling.

Remember, NOT a LAN party system(side panels just lift off and can be removed VERY easy by mistake making moving it kind of suck.), just a nice small and quiet system with the right parts.

Also SSD drives will not get too hot in the case, but Western Digital Blacks can get toasty(as they run hot without some air flow).

I dont want to oversell it :). Works great for me.

ninjaroot

Honorable
May 11, 2013
just looked.. i have one 5.25 raid drive that i must have and it looks like there isnt a single 5.25" bay in that one :(

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
It's quite a big case with a lot of room inside.
They don't use Mini-ITX to make the package smaller - instead they use it to uncrowd the interior.
The mobo sits horizontally and level, with the heaviest (air) coolers not fighting gravity at all!
Tons of room for the very largest vidcard too.
If using a single vidcard in your build, there's really no reason not to go Mini-ITX with this case...

Status
Not open for further replies.