Microsoft's Shaw Strikes Back at New Coke Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelve25

Distinguished
It's exactly like New Coke. New Coke wasn't a foul tasting Cola, it just wasn't Coca-Cola. Lot's of people even liked the New Coke, maybe some even better than Classic Coke.
Windows 8 is fine and you can get along well enough in it, but it isn't Windows as we all knew it. Some people like it, those with touch screen probably like it most, but it's not got enough classic windows that the 500 million windows users worldwide were expecting.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
And here is a little different point of view about what Shaw said: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/10/microsoft_media_picking_on_us/

Edit: It's an actual point of view, not just praise and marketing babbling. Tom, I'm disappoint.

Edit: damn, wrong link, fixed that

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
- Microsoft just needs to learn to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong about Windows 8. I'm still not sure what made them think Windows 8 was a good idea to begin with. They had a good thing going with Windows 7. Why did they feel like they needed to wreck it?

mpdugas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
After I read all of the negative backlash about this new version of Windows, I was very reluctant to even try it, I admit.
I'm well over 65, so you'd think I'd most likely be resistant to new ideas, but Windows 8 is really, really good.
Windows 8 has turned out to be one of the most delightful PC operating systems that I have ever used, going all the way back to my early experiences with DOS 2.11.
There is nothing that any previous version of Windows has done that Windows 8 cannot do, at least for the tasks that I use it for. There is much that it does that nothing else can, as well.
Instead of listening to others, I'd suggest that someone who is considering it to give it a try for themselves.
Windows 8 is really good.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Does anyone who comments actually use the product, I've been using Windows 8 since it was RTM and then since it was released. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a different start button. The desktop experience is the same as it has been in the past, standard non-metro applications work as they always have. In fact I don't use any metro applications, all I do is use Windows 8 like I used Windows 7, or Windows XP, or Windows ME or Windows 95, the only difference now is that when I don't have an application pin'ed to my task bar, I put my mouse in the top right of the screen and then type the first 2-3 characters of the applications name I want and hit enter and it pops up. That takes less time than drilling through the old start button menu, so in my mind time saved and applications work the same ... win win. Other than the start button, Windows 8 is no different from Windows 7 for performance and stability.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
To be fair, Windows 8 is a great product if you never have to look at Metro and you have a Start Menu instead of a Start Screen. The thing that concerns me is that Microsoft might be fine with losing 40% of desktop market share if they could gain 20% of mobile/tablet. They want people who buy apps and new devices every 6 months, not people who buy the discounted OS via whoever made their laptop.

Windows 8 IS a good product at it's core with technical improvements. Metro is NOT a good change(it's not good enough yet) and the only bad thing about Windows 8. If you disagree, prove me wrong. They really need to return the classic start menu and make metro optional in control panel.

I use Windows 8 with Start8 and I love it. Why am I using Windows 8? I needed a new license and it was 40 dollars + 5 more for Start8, so why on earth would I not jump at such a deal.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
the only thing that makes me hesitant on getting win 8 is the damn tiles. can desktop users just have the ability to turn that shit off? my bro seems to like it, but it seems counter intuitive to look for an app on tiles instead of have them listed alphabetically... you have to do more searching

Gtquan

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Windows 8 works well for me. I was skeptical given all the negative press and comments. I think its really good - some growing pains. My 3 year can navigate the start menu. For all those that hate it - what are the specific issues that are making it so hard to use? I have not found anything I can't do in windows 8 that I was doing with windows 7. There are also a lot of improvements compared to windows 7.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Good job Kevin. Windows 8 may not be GREAT, but it is good and it will be improved. I think you have done a better job at avoiding hyperbole and in doing a good analysis than I have seen in a number of different pieces on this issue. Your understanding that Windows 8 is the keystone to a ecosystem covering several different devices and that this is a path that has been embarked upon that is still evolving and improving is spot on.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Windows 8 is worse than new Coke. New Coke was actually a decent product. Windows 8 is a huge step backward as a desktop interface.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Working with and repairing Windows 8 on a daily basis has drawn me to the conclusion that it is quite possibly the worst OS to repair, and for me, the most annoying OS the work with as a result. It's too difficult to list the dozens of small things, but I'll leave you with the most annoying - the old "F8" menu now shuts the computer off after about 30 seconds, giving you that much time to research a specific error... so irritating. One of many, many quirks that have only one purpose - to make a technician's job more annoying.

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Nobody would have ever had a single issue with Windows 8 had they given the user the ability to turn off the tiles on boot, and go straight to the desktop, and give you the option to have the Start button back. It is common sense to just leave those as options for the user.

pcichico

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
A good tech never blaims his os. Ya I've had 8 brick on me, but in less than 5 min I restore from an acronis image and back in business. Plus 8 is so robust you can restore just about any image from any motherboard and it boots up no problem on different hardware. Like the other guy pointed out, what specific issue is so impossible in 8 that you guys can't overcome. For every complaint their is an obvious work around. I've run 8 since day one and never see or go to metro ever.

defg0003

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
one word = NO.
the day Windows 7 is no longer supported, I load the best Linux distro,
Finis. Who needs a dumbed down operating system that works on a cell phone or tablet? Not I.
Common sense seems to have left the building, so to speak.

pcichico

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Startisback let's you eliminate every trace of metro if u want and its 3 bucks and good for 2 machines. The coolest feature though is that you can make the metro menu renamed to apps instead of start and automatically hide all legacy icons that get pinned automatically. So your 7 start menu only has desktop apps and your new "apps" menu only has metro apps. And if you want no way to get to metro you just erase the apps icon from the start menu. But if you still want secret access to it because you are really a closet metro lover you can hit shift or control, i dont remember, + windows key and the metro version pops up instead of the 7 style menu.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I dont think the problem is the entire Window's 8 operating system. The problem is simply one of its features that Microsoft is bent on pushing to all consumers, That is simply the Metro Interface.
Microsoft if your reading this IT DOES NOT FUNCTION IN A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT WITH KEYBOARD AND MOUSE.
I been using Windows 8 since release (I got it for like 50 bucks). I gotta say its faster more stable and just runs better then Windows 7 on my system.
The first thing I do with a clean Window 8 install is download "Classic Start Menu" Load that up and Metro is history. The only time I see metro after that is the 1-2secs it takes for it to be bypassed on startup.
I really think Windows 8 would have been a major hit with everyone if they simply given desktop users the option to switch from Metro to a Start button interface.

jdwii

Splendid
As long as they're prepared to lose sales. For touch Android and IOS is a better choice and offers more features and better phones. Here it goes again and again Having a start menu cover up a whole screen when searching for somthing is nonsense, having a computer boot up to the start screen is nonsense when i have to click on desktop to do everything anyways. Everything else besides their new start screen is amazing just get rid of that start screen on laptops and desktops.
If you won't get rid of it put more detail into the tiles it looks like a simple windows 3.0 graphics(go back to icons just use bigger icons or have a option). Not to mention let people customize that backgrounds more on the start screen instead of that nasty looking background. Get rid of the side bars all together its horrible and annoying. I remember when Windows 7 came out an i loved it and i even didn't mind Vista much after service pack 1 and i loved XP and i loved 95,98 but this Windows 8 has to go or get an extreme change.
Its sad that you don't let people change it without 3rd party software when your OS cost money even linux has better options and its free.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
What is the big deal with people complaining about Windows 8? Yeah the start screen is not the greatest thing in the world but other than that it's a much better version of Windows 7. Tell me one thing you don't like about it other than the damn start screen. You can even install a 3rd party start menu if you hate it that much. It's the same thing but kind of better with ONE flaw, the start screen, and people are overreacting so much..

Status
Not open for further replies.