Scratched music cd

weisnoobs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi all.

I hope this topic is close enough to my question, If not, I apologize.
I recently bought a new music cd from a local retailer here. The cd was in its jewel case still wrapped in plastic. However when I took the cd out the box, under bright light, I notice about 2-3 minor 2mm scratches with a 2mm scuff mark on the outerside of the disc. I know it's probably me being paranoid, Now my questions:

1) Should I be concerned?
2) Could the marks come from when the cd was being packed at the factory?

Thanks again for reading

i've received brand new in wrapper cds and dvds with small hairline scratches or scuffs in the past. i dont agree with the practice of packaging them up as new but i've seen it happen. a cd will read fine unless its surface is covered heavily with hairline scratches or has some deep gouges. for $1-2 you can take it to a store which sells used dvds. some such stores have machines which can refinish the disk.

a better solution is to go to where you bought it and request an even exchange for a new disk.

weisnoobs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I did as you suggested and returned the CD. I got a new one still sealed in plastic, now I notice this along the underside of the CD the label is like "dented" in. ( Sorry I don't know the correct term ). I've linked an image here, excuse the reflection on the cd and focus along the edges of the disc: http://i.imgur.com/ukcQkOK.jpg , should I be concerned about this?

you mean how the outside edge seems to jog in?

in most cases the data written on music cds doesnt go all the way to the outside edge. turn the cd until you see a darker shade (written data) on the cd. unwritten space will be lighter. you should see a definite line. if it doesnt go to the outside it should be fine.

the only way to tell for sure is to play the disk all the way through... most disks are only about an hour so this shouldnt be a problem.

weisnoobs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

I notice that ring you are talking about. The jog hasn't touched the recorded part. To make sure, I played the last song on the cd ( correct me if I'm wrong but the last song should be read on the more outer side of the disc ) and there were no hiccups in the song. So it seems I'm good to go?

cds are written inside to outside.
tracks should be written inside to outside.

if the data region isnt in contact with the edge you are fine. keep in mind that even on a completely full disk there is still a ring around the edge which does not fill up. look around the edge of the disk there is a part that is not mirrored.

if it works then worrying about it is just being paranoid.

weisnoobs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Thank you for easing my paranoia, ( I'm a very paranoid person when it comes to my Music CDs, forgive me) The little jogs are in that outside ring you mentioned, the outside unwritten space line is very thin but the jogs don't seem to impede the written area.