Cant find source of interference

istari675

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I've been having some serious interference problems all the time at my house using the wifi. Connecting it physically doesn't seem to be an option so I gotta stick with this. I tried putting a DD WRT firmware on my router but it that just showed me that I am having serious noise issues. It seems to stick around -90. The signal itself sticks around like -60. I'm thinking about trying to replace the antenna on my WRT54G v6 router to try and help with the signal issues.

Anything on the same band as the wifi can cause interference, microwave ovens, wireless phones, wireless headsets, neighbors using wifi and wireless devices.

Download inSSIDer, run it, it will tell you what channels are best to use, you can switch channels to pick the best one.

Or use a 5 instead of a 2.4ghz router.

istari675

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I have looked through anything in the entire house that could be causing interference and pretty much ruled it all out. It is an older house so I dont know if there might be something in the walls causing interference.

You need a spectrum analyzer. The same company, metageek, that makes inssider sells them. You can also get them from ubiquiti. They sell a separate product but many of their AP have this ability. Still its not really going to tell you what it is they have photos of what common devices look like. With a direction antenna though you should be able to tell the direction it is coming from.