Overclocking i5 760 or go back to default?

Fermoz

Honorable
May 8, 2013
Hello,

I have recently made a quite moderate overclock on my i5 760 from 2,8 to 3,36. I have made this with the voltage control on auto and Speedstep and C1E enabled. I have also tried to OC it 3,6 but then I had to increase the voltage and it became a little too hot for my taste so i went back to 3,36. I also wanted the power saving features to work. I have disabled Turbo boost at the 3,36 OC. The Turbo boost can apparently increase the freq. to 3,33 using 2 cores when needed.

I use my computer for gaming and I'm playing everthing from Starcraft 2 to Far Cry 3. My question is: Do I benefit from overclocking my processor to 3,36 (all cores) with Turbo boost disabled or can I just aswell go back to the default setting at 2,8 with Turbo boost enabled? I'm only looking to get a slightly better performance in games.

Thanks!

O n your processor Turbo boost only works when one core or lightly threaded apps are running.
When more cores are running turbo boost does not engage.
You will get better performance in games running overclocked if your games run two or more cores.
Far Cry 3 uses all of your cores so Turbo boost would never kick in. You will get better performance overclocked.