Grade my PC build. Do chime in.

KM75

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hey all. Im new here and have a challenge for you guys. Please look over my buy list and answer these 3 questions here at the top.

Also, do note that in my list, Ive sold a few old components of mine that help shrink the cost of the build. Take into account those deductions when answering my questions. Anything not listed, (like optical drives, sound cards and couple case fans), are things I already have that will be swapped over into the new build. If you have questions, refer to this in-depth description of my PC build journey. Also, do know that Toms Hardware CPU hierarchy list and GPU hierarchy list were my main points of reference in selecting components.
Here ya go;

1. Can you build me an equally priced system (new or used), with comparable CPU, GPU and Ram performance? I want to see what more experienced folk can come up with. Also, don’t leave out things like the PSU and case when making recommendations. Take into account what parts Ive bought

2. Do you see any bottlenecks with any of the components I selected? Based on my research, the CPU, GPU, and Ram I selected seem to match up well and have decent performance for the budget minded person. Do you think the hard drive will be much an issue?

3. How long could you see this system running games well, and doing editing or workstation tasks well? Especially if you consider it’s a dual processor system, and possibly crossfire in the future…would that help it last?

PS – Do note, that all the amounts in my list, are including whatever applicable taxes, shipping, and fees that had to be paid. Most things came from ebay, though a couple of things came from a local server supply store. I shopped around for the best deal. As it stands, the total is $493.44. Though I imagine with the last ebay sale of the extra that come with the Antec case, I can get that down to $450.

g-unit1111

Titan
So what do you plan to do with this PC? I read through your link but I'm not finding an answer for that. You don't really need a Xeon if scalable applications aren't going to be used for this build. You can get by with a lot less of a CPU. A G2120 will run the games you want to play, or go a bit more and get a Core i3-3225.

The GTX 650Ti is a solid choice for the sub $200 range. It's a tweaked version of the GTX 650TI that holds its' own with the Radeon 7850 for the price.

KM75

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I plan to do some gaming, some video editing, and a good deal of audio editing.

I mean for the price (82 dollars), having two Xeons isnt bad at all...especially when you consider that a single CPU solution that rivals two of those Xeons would be more expensive. Wouldnt you say?

Look at the specs of the G2120 and check the CPU hierarchy list as well. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html The G2120 is two tiers under a single Q9650 (which is the desktop version of the E5450s I have). So two E5450s would really outperform it, especially if one easily does. Nvm the fact that a single G2120 is 73 bucks at the cheapest online. Doesnt seem like a smart buy compared to the power of two E5450s. Nvm the fact that id be left with a single dual core in the G2120, vs two quad cores (eight total) with the 5450s.

The i3-3225 is a good single processor suggestion. But for its still more expensive than both Xeons together. And its only a dual core. Nevermind the fact that according to benchmarks, it doesnt seem to drastically outperform a single Q9650. So I couldnt see it being worth the money against two E5450s

Thanks for the input though.

PS - The GTX 650 Ti boost was my original choice. However, I went with the HD 7850 based on the available rebates and bundled games that each card was being offered with.

g-unit1111

Titan
Look at the specs of the G2120 and check the CPU hierarchy list as well. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... The G2120 is two tiers under a single Q9650 (which is the desktop version of the E5450s I have). So two E5450s would really outperform it, especially if one easily does. Nvm the fact that a single G2120 is 73 bucks at the cheapest online. Doesnt seem like a smart buy compared to the power of two E5450s. Nvm the fact that id be left with a single dual core in the G2120, vs two quad cores (eight total) with the 5450s.

Yeah but you're comparing CPUs from six years ago to CPUs now. It's like comparing a car that was made in 1996 to a car that's made in 2013 - it's not going to be the same no matter which way you look at it. The modern CPU is going to run circles around the CPU from six years ago due to the smaller CPU die and the new manufacturing process.

KM75

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Thats the thing though. The Pentium doesnt run circles around the CPUs I mentioned. Benchmark comparisons from several sources will easily bear this out. Nvm the Toms CPU guide.

I think youre forgetting that the Pentium is an entry level CPU. In which case, an older non-entry level CPU, shouldnt have problems rivaling it. I feel people get hung up on age too much with PC components. Yes, the stuff I picked is older, but Im going by performance. The E5450 and Q9650 easily out perform a G2120

Wouldnt you say a 96 BMW 5 series would be better than some 2012 low priced entry level Ford or Toyota? Im just saying that the E5450 and Q9650 werent entry level when they released, and it makes sense that they outperform some of todays entry level CPUs despite their age.

That all being said, cars arent really comparable to CPUs. You can take plenty of well kept, stock or restored, decades old cars, that may beat the tar out of plenty of current gen cars.

KM75

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Anyone else have personal experience with the Q9650 or E5450? Ive seen some videos of the Q9650 in action, but Id like to hear more accounts.