Dual Channel kit seperation?

Apr 18, 2013
Hello, so I was wondering if a dual channel kit that got seperated would work without it's partner? I am getting a desktop computer with two ram slots, which both are taken up. They may/or may not be a dual channel kit... But if they are, if I replace one with a single 8 GB Corsair Vengeance stick would the other one not work since I took out it's partner? Thanks!

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello Greg,

Firstly, ask yourself if your desktop supports more than 8GB of memory if you are sure then proceed further.

Yes, it would work unless the system you have has its own rule wherein the memory must be installed in "matched pairs" like the servers. There is no such thing as "Dual channel" kit, it is just a memory kit. If your system i.e, if your motherboard supports dual channel memory architecture then all you need to do make the dual channel feature work is to install the memory in identical pairs that's why the manufacturers sell the memory in kit to make it easier for the consumers to match the memory. Having said that, if you were to replace one module with a new memory which is of a different speed the dual channel may or may not work depending on the motherboard:no:. As I have stated the memory must be identical - in terms of speed, size, CL (CAS latency), ranks n so on. So according to my own knowledge it is best to go with the same speed memory.

I have personally not worked with memory with heat spreaders like Corsair Vengeance but yeah it should work with just the one module.

For more info about dual channel read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture#Dual-channel_architecture

If you need memory or any help, try this site - memorystock.com

Good luck, mate! :)