8gb or 16gb for long-term?

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hello. I am building a gaming computer that will have high end parts such as the GTX 690 and so forth. I plan to spend alot for it to stay up-to-date and last a long time b4 I will have to start buying new things.

*People say 8gb for gaming is more than enough but for how long?

*If i were to get 16gb would it be better to get 4x4 or 2x8 or does it really matter?

*the number after DDR3: 1600 is what I want for gaming?

Thank you all in advance!

shaks109

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
You might aswell get 2x8 and then later on (after some years) get another 2x8 (same brand recommended) = 32GB :)

OR just just got with 2x4GB and another 2x4GB after some years. 8GB ram is currently enough for gaming (BF3 Recommended RAM is 4GB)

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I heard someone say the OS also requires about 3GB so that is pushing the 8GB? I would like wiggle room to feel safe.. My mobo is good for 4x4 you think?

Astralv

Distinguished
I would say 2 X 8Gb. Also from my experience- pricey parts do not extand computer lifespan. 4-5 yearsl from now you will want new computer. I would spand under $1500 and in the next 5 years- get new system, then have to deal with outdated rig. in 2004 I spent $4000. I replaced every part in that computer over time- memory, hard drives, motherboard, even DVD drive- everything failed. I was keep fixing it because I spent so much on it. By 2010 when I complained about my problems on forums, everybody would say- get a new system- $600 machine would work better than what you have now. I also would not spand so much on graphics for games. Unless you use this computer for work and it pays your bills- I would stay with upper mid range cards.