RP-SMA to wall coaxial?

Harry Talbot

Honorable
May 12, 2013
I'm looking for a way to boost the internet speed to my desktop, as the router is just on the edge of being in range of it. Ethernet is not an option, as due to the layout of our house I'd have to loop the cable over several doorways, and even then the cable would have to be about 30 meters long have to go through doorways, meaning the doors wouldn't close.

The only solution I currently can think of (assuming it is viable) Is to connect the wireless card into a wall coaxial socket (like for a TV). This wall socket runs up to our loft inside the walls, where I can connect it to another Coaxial cable that goes through the walls to another wall coaxial socket that comes out right next to our router. I'd then connect the Wireless card's antennae to the Coaxial cable wall socket by the router using some sort of cable/fitting, and essentially overall have a 10cm wireless connection followed by a (roughly) 30m antennae to the wireless card in my PC.

I think the connection on that back of the wireless card is an RP-SMA, and the coaxial wall socket I've no idea but it's the standard one here in the UK for TVs.

For this to work, I have a few questions:
1) Do the cables I need exist, and if so where can i get them?
2) Will there be any loss of signal over the antennae length?
3)Are there any other ways that are cheaper/better (faster speed, higher ping etc)

I'm really looking for somewhere to bug he cables coloured cream. I live in the Uk too, so I can't purchase from places like newegg.

I've attached a rough diagram I just did of what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks in advance for any responses.

http://imgur.com/yXGdkLE

I’m unaware of any "wireless antenna to coax" adapters, but I do know there are "ethernet to coax" adapters. The technology is called MoCA. And they work quite well from what I hear (100Mbps or better is common). Only limitation I know of is that they can't coexist w/ satellite systems on the same line (cable is ok). But I don't know if that was an early limitation and has since changed.

Once you have a MoCA bridge, you can simply plug a wireless AP to the other end.

[primary router]<-- ethernet -->[moca adapter #1]<-- coax -->[wall]<-- coax -->[wall]<-- coax -->[moca adapter #2]<-- ethernet -->[wireless ap]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

Another option is powerline bridging, where you use the power lines in your walls instead of coax.