GTX 660 driver crashes and terrible 3DMark11 score

Hi,

I hope someone can provide some help and will be grateful for any responses.

I just bought a GTX660 to replace my Radeon 6950 (not a huge upgrade but a swap was needed for various reasons). The problem is I am getting much worse frames in Crysis3 etc than on the Radeon. I have also seen repeated driver crashes where the screen goes black then Windows throws up a notification that the card became unresponsive and has been relaunched. These only occur outside of games, most frequently when just browsing in Chrome and can occur less than a minute apart.

Having tried a refresh of Windows (8, x64) to no avail I thought I would run 3DMark11 on both cards. The results are quite shocking:

These were carried out on the following rig with bios at stock and having cleaned all drivers with driversweeper each time and then installing the latest respective driver:

I7 920
3x4gb corsair vengeance triple channel ram
P6T motherboard
650w PSU (I forget right now but a "proper" one)

The results are as follows:

GTX660
Graphics Score 1971
Physics Score 5288
Combined Score 1750

Graphics Score 4938
Physics Score 5854
Combined Score 4811

The exact model of the new card is: Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce OC 2 GB. It is placed in the same PCI 16x slot as the Radeon.

Any help greatly appreciated, though I fear for the card's life.
3 answers Last reply
More about gtx 660 driver crashes terrible 3dmark11 score
  1. Try your onboard card and see if this problem persist or nop. If it does not, means that you gotta buy a new gpu :)
  2. Hi, and thanks for the response.

I have resolved this problem as follows:

I noticed a high-impact executable running which I didn't recognise, called IEHIGHUTIL.EXE. After some research it transpires that this is a bitcoin mining bot.

Having removed it, I now see an increase from 8fps to 44fps on the initial test in 3DMark. That's as far as I got before having to leave for work this morning but, unless I post back, consider the problem resolved.

Hopefully this information is helpful to others.
  3. Xavier Tan Sync said:
    Try your onboard card and see if this problem persist or nop. If it does not, means that you gotta buy a new gpu :)

Still posting useless "advice" I see. :pfff:
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Radeon Graphics