Where are the Google Ads?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
In the scripting of any page on TH, there is a reference to ajax.googleapis.com and it is refering to Google Ads to which there are supposedly no ads here except for non-members or newbie members?

Would non-members or newbies really be wanting to buy anything from Google ads? Do they really serve a needed service here?

I've noticed quite a few double and even triple posts, I think that google thing is the culprit. I often have to click, click click the submit button. Sometimes I get the 505 Error for my reply but not more than 5 times a day..

"some sort of server google uses for google ads. "
http://www.generalnonsense.net/showthread.php?t=2574

"Google APIs (or Google AJAX APIs) is a set of JavaScript APIs developed by Google that allows interaction with Google Services and integration of rich, multimedia, search or feed-based Internet content into web applications. They extensively use AJAX scripting and can be easily loaded using Google Loader."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_AJAX_APIs

Basically, it freezes up my PC and it's been getting worse ever since you did the site update.

Vista x32, 4gb ram @800mhz. IE9

Solution
If you don't have java installed, try installing java and seeing if the problem persists. I know we're doing a lot of fancy stuff with that quick-edit functionality. I've heard of issues occurring with IE8 and back that are similar, but not IE9. Tom's Hardware goes to great lengths to ensure that our site is compatible with a maximum of browsers and operating systems - so IE is in our top 3 that we check.

No I was just trying to isolate the issue. It seems to occur to quite a few people and I would like to see if it was just that one browser. I've never had a double post before myself.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I know that IE is buggy, it always has been ever since it was invented back in the last century but I'm a stoic Microsoft supporter (one of the last to remain, an almost extinct race) so perhaps the site should be making allownaces to support ALL browsers rather than just Google who also have been buggy even before it was invented!

Edit -
I do rag out Microsoft quite often but only to get feedback..

Edit2 - what browser and version are you using?

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
TenPc,

I see from your research that stuff hosted on that Google APIs domain does include items for ad serving. However, it also includes jQuery. Lots of websites load the jQuery from Google as opposed to hosting it themselves. This serves to accelerate most websites. In fact, Google condones this: https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/devguide?hl=en-EN#jquery

As such, we use it. jQuery powers a lot of items on the site that are completely separate from ads. It is very possible that issues with jQuery loading would result in errors or items not working on the site. IE9 really shouldn't have much though. Have you tried changing to IE10?

Justin

I use google chrome. I know that you like support microsoft but why not just use chrome for this or other websites that give you issues? Realistically though, as a web dev, I'm surprised the issue has not been fixed yet. You would think they would run a check if the exact same thing was posted before to prevent this sort of thing.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
On my Windows 7 x32 Pc I used Google Chrome (300mb+ download), I couldn't open pdf's with it properly, the site would disappear with the pdf replacing it in the same tab. Other issues including a crappy tool bar and lack of distinction, that was almost a year ago.. The other thing with Google is that it associated my image extensions with it and if I clicked on an image in Explorer to view in the supposed Windows Image Viewer, Google would try to open it in their browser and each attempt would create a new copy of the image thus creating nearly 10 copies of the picture but only stopped after I exited theGoogle browser as it would have just continued until my PC exploded from 15 million copies of the image! It never did ever actually open the image. I had to change the Associations manually. I did not realise what was happening until I had nearly 30gb of double copies of various images on the PC..

I suppose Google have improved things, I just irk at Google taking over the world when Microsoft had to go to court to justify adding their browser with their OS, what about Google new OS, does it come without it's own browser? That's an argument for a different occasion...

At least with IE I can have my own toobar of shortcuts sites in view.
It is slow and cumbersome, and when tabs close, the process for it does not end.
I just get better performance when opening PDF's, Youtube is perfect and no glitches, and it's a better interface.

I"ve tried Firefox for Vista on my laptop and it was quite successfeul but Firefox is like a barebones.

This is the internet and webmasters should be doing what they did back a decade ago being (I can't remember the actual coding but)
If IE then do this, if Firefox do something else, ,If Google then do another thing etc...

On my Windows 7 x64 PC I had IE9x32, IE9 x64, GoogleChrome and Firefox, and got nothing but bogged down interference from one or the other.

On this PC, which I only want to use for internet and some Vista games, I get some decent usage. I only tried my other PC's when things got too boggy on this one but then having too many browsers on the Win7 also caused issues.

I've worked out by not having Yahoo as my home page, all my resources are not depleted. Yahoo Home page uses as much as 200,000kb after just reading the news headlines, adding in the 60,000kb for inbox to check emails, plus another 130,000kb for any other Yahoo feature pages I might view, it really bogs things down too much.

I've noticed now that TH has some sort of process that is now starting to draw a lot of kb's but that only happened after the site upgrade.

Perhaps the new Google Chrome TH site would then allow the removal of the Google API's from this one (or not).

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
TenPc,

Honestly, I agree with you, if it is a bug. We need to fix it. The problem is, from your description, its really hard to pinpoint the exact issue. Are you saying the page turns into a 505 error when you click reply? Are you sure its 505? I've never actually heard of that error. I see here it means, "version not supported." if you can confirm that is the error, and the steps you take to get it, we can submit a bug report.

Justin

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It happens when I add an edit, it's a blue square with "505 Error OOPS! I think we have got a fault" or something like that.
One time the number was 405. Not often, probably only a glitch on my part.

If it happens again, I'll view the source of the script, the detail area is separate web page, and post it here.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
So I couldn't view source, it's not a separate web page insert like an iframe as I first thought so here is the picture -
348mtfp.jpg

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Yes, only when I add an edit, either a Quick Edit or a full edit, it happens either way. My added details are lost :( I must remember to copy my adds so as to repost them if the problem occurs again.

Something else (not about that 500 error), I've tried to add an edit and it does not post, even a few times trying won't post that is why I sometimes add an extra reply after the previous one (double post) but I add the reason to the next reply " I couldn't add to the previous reply!"

Most times I can add 2 or 3 or 4 edits nearly straight after the initial reply, it's just on occasion and it won't let me even if I wait 15 minutes or more.

Usually I wait for a reply before adding a new reply but there are times when you never see any more replies or the OP (or others) does not reply for days or weeks! Some intial replies are quick and I do other research while waiting for a reply but then feel I need to add an edit or 3 to either refute my first reply or add validation or a better answer.

Edit -if I get a 405 or 505 error, I'll post it back here just to prove it!:)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I just noticed something (I just got another one) that might help -

35c32xc.jpg

I think my problem occurs due to the internet connection (usb internet), my video card is only 512mb GT 8600, my ram is only 800mhz (x4), Vista x32 SP2, however, there are worse PC rigs out with IE8 or IE7, not sure if they got the same issue though.

Edit - I forgot to say, the message box usually has 5 entries..

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
TenPc,

I doubt that your PC specs have anything to do with that (other than the browser and OS). Both issues could be related to the IE9, but I'm not sure if they are related together. Either way, the system should support your setup, definitely.

Justin

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
If you don't have java installed, try installing java and seeing if the problem persists. I know we're doing a lot of fancy stuff with that quick-edit functionality. I've heard of issues occurring with IE8 and back that are similar, but not IE9. Tom's Hardware goes to great lengths to ensure that our site is compatible with a maximum of browsers and operating systems - so IE is in our top 3 that we check.

Solution

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I had IE8 and everything was great before you made the site changes but then it all went wrong. I then installed IE9 to get the Full Edit functionality but then other issues came tio light.

TH is now my Home page, Yahho sucks up way too much process with their interactive news flash video on autostart as wel as there full background image playing havoc with my old video card vram.

There is sometimes an increasing TH process that does bog down my system, it happened on yahoo as well, it creeps up well past 175,000kb to which the easiest solution is to log off then log on rather than restarting the Pc which might damage the system over time.

It doesn't happen too often and I can put up with it.
I do notice double posts in Questions and some double post Questions which I think is not done on purpose and is without knowledge of the OP.

Another matter, quite different, what's up with the use of the UP arrow in the text area? I've changed keyboard 3 times with no real benefit.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The up arrow, when I navigate back up the text I have just typed, to correct typos.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it goes about two sentences up then stops and not always at a space, just at the next sentence up.
And always in the visual area, not above the scroll area. It's just annoying, that's all.

I can't take a screen shot, it not something to do.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I use the up, left, down, right keys (sepearate to the key pad) on the keyboard not the keypad keys, that might be the reason. I'll try using the leypad arrows next time and report back.

Another query totally unrelated (again) lol is that I asked for a Question to be deleted because no answers received and I really goofed on the specifics of it, could I just change the title of the question and added details to make it a different Question?

TRENDING THREADS