Need to Upgrade ?

Muzzamil Dina

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hey all,

I am new to this forum so i dont know in which section to post my query. So here goes.

My current pc specs are:

core i3 3.2 ghz (dont remember the exact model i will update this as soon as i get home)
corsair 6gb DDR3 ram
asus p8h67ml-e motherboard
evga gefore gtx 660 FTW signature 2 graphics card
1TB WD hdd 16mb cache

All i want to know is what pc part i should upgrade. I recently changed my gfx card from gigabyte gtx 550 ti to evga gtx 660 ftw sinature 2.

Also if i upgrade only my processor to i5 will there be any significant improvment in overall gaming experience and will my motherboard support i5 3rd generation processors?

Please guide me.

Your help will be much appreciated.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Depending on your gaming, you may benefit from a processor upgrade. If you are only playing games like Minecraft and Runescape; you will notice no benefit. If you're playing Battlefield and Crysis series games and other intensive games, then yes, a processor upgrade will bring considerable improvements.

Your motherboard does not support modern Intel CPUs; only last generation, which are still very, very capable.

Your motherboard does not support overclocking, so I reccomend upgrading the the i5-2500 if you can.

Muzzamil Dina

Honorable
May 11, 2013
crysis and battlefield it is. Havent been much into overclocking so thats not a problem. and you mean to say i cant install an intel core i5 3570k ? :( cause the one you are saying is nt available on the online shops that i buy from here in Pakistan. and i have core i3 2100 installed right now.

I would not suggest upgrading right now.

How much will you spend max for upgrade?

We're so close to Haswell, and 700 series release too. You many want to upgrade to a haswell i5 which will be a big help in in games like battlefield when the server is packed.

So in conclusion, wait for Haswell release, then come back to the forums and ask for help upgrading. The 660 is a relatively good card still, but upgrading now wouldn't be quite worth it yet.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
not sure if you should upgrade right now. If you play online and feel like something is missing or your performance isn't snappy enough. That is where acquiring an i5 would help out. Although I would disagree with edogawa, Haswell seems more like a power efficiency step and iGPU revision rather than cpu performance increase. From the leaked chinese benchmarks, there is hardly a 5% difference if at all. Either way. I would play those games first online and see how they work for you before advising dropping any money. Hope this helps. Cheers.

While there is hardly a 5% performance difference overclocking potential could be good, and run cooler than Ivy-Bridge which would be a plus, but we will need to see it first hand instead of rumors.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Salaam Muzzamil Bhai,

first up, you motherboard can support the 3rd generation cor i processors albeit you will need a BIOS update. You can locate the relevant BIOS update from this link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M_LE/#support_CPU

But your motherboard does not support overclocking and therefore there is not point in getting a "K" series unlocked cpu if you plan to keep this motherboard. You can however go with any of the non "K" core i5 3xxx cpus.

Hope this helps

-Satyam

Muzzamil Dina

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Well thats some good news you have given :D then ill just go for the 3rd gen core i 5. Hey all you guys thanks a lot for the help and time. I really appreciate it.
:D
and thanks a lot satyamdubey you really saved me the trouble because the shops which i buy from are only offering 3rd gen processors. :D