Did I get this build right?

KrazyKap

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Recently I have built a mid range gaming PC, but I'm wondering if I made the right choices and what I should change if I were to make another computer for myself or someone else.
I started out with a 2007 office/floor sales computer, from which I only kept the case:
Gigabyte GZ-X1BPD
and the Enermax NoiseTaker II 485w PSU it had (and a DVD RW drive).
Also got my hands on an old HD 5450 before buying new GPU,
and a Seagate 160GB HDD

I then went out and bought myself the following:
CPU: AMD FX-6100
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3
RAM: 2*4GB G. Skill Ripjaws (1600, CL9)
HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Monitor: LG Flatron E2242
Also have wireless adapter

Bought but not delivered I got a Sapphire HD 7870 XT and an Enermax 750w Tomahawk PSU with 80+ bronze cert.

When I started the build I wasn't sure what just about anything meant and was of course a great source of education, but I would like to know if this is a reasonable build and what I should change next time.

Should I spend slightly more on an Intel processor such as an i5 (possibly 3570K)?

Is it worth spending the cash on better cooling/water cooling for GPU/CPU to overclock, to play games on max?

Are each of the listed parts good options for the price?
Especially the monitor as I still don't understand much of the spces there.

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Yes the build you have going is just fine for mid range gaming, like you want. You could upgrade to a intel cpu, but you wont get any real performance changes out of it on most games, and remember if you switch to intel you would have to change your mobo too. As for the cooling question, don't other, air cooling is more then sufficient with that cpu and gpu, heck OCed my assus directCU 7870 only hits 55C max load.

KrazyKap

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Well, I got upgraded to a Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X, which I am very happy with. If I get some money to spare in the future I will up the case and air flow, mobo and cpu, and add a second 7950 at some point :D