Sign in with
Your question

C drive corrupted, disk check won't work, system restore won't work

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2013 5:21:13 AM

Hello

Please excuse my ignorance. I've built my current PC, a year or so ago, but I'm by no means an expert on these things.

When booting up my PC, it gets to the Windows graphics then screen goes black, it says that it needs to perform a disk check, then says that it can't perform a disk check as it's corrupted.

Windows then starts (is it in safe mode, I'm not sure) and I've got what seems like full functionality, but the resolution on the screen is changed. I get a few messages saying that some files are corrupt or unreachable, and that I should perform a disk check. I've tried a system restore, but it says that because the C drive is corrupted or unreachable that I need to run disk check. Try that, but as it's running it says I need to schedule one for after a restart. But then this obviously doesn't work as noted above.

My C drive is an SSD that's about a year old, if that makes any difference.

Is there anything I can do or do I just need to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows?

Any help gratefully received.
May 13, 2013 3:15:26 PM

You might try to run a FULL virus scan to see if it is infected or really corrupted. You may need a virus pgm boot disk depending on the virus pgm you have. Another thing you can try is boot to the Windows installation disk and have it try to do a repair of Windows. As a last resort, yes, you may have to do a clean install of Windows. Be sure you follow the accepted norms for installing Windows to a SSD: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
May 14, 2013 12:04:24 AM

Nice one. I will try both those things when I have a moment. Looking after the new baby comes first right at the moment.

Thanks for your help
Related resources
May 18, 2013 2:39:44 AM

Thanks - I tried that but no joy, so looks like I'm going to be reinstalling. I've not done this before, so I'm not sure what happens to my other hard drives. Do I need to do anything with them? I'm hoping that I can just reinstall Windows on the SSD, and then all the data on the other drives will still be there. Is that the case?
May 18, 2013 8:51:34 AM

Sicrates said:
Thanks - I tried that but no joy, so looks like I'm going to be reinstalling. I've not done this before, so I'm not sure what happens to my other hard drives. Do I need to do anything with them? I'm hoping that I can just reinstall Windows on the SSD, and then all the data on the other drives will still be there. Is that the case?

Basically yes. But it depends on what you used the HDD(s) for. If you installed programs to the HDD instead of the SSD, you will have to reinstall them anew. If you just used the HDD for file storage, it should be fine as is after you re-install the programs to the SSD that uses those files.

As soon as you get the system back the way it was and you are sure there is no corruption, make a disk image with Win7 Backup. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-sys...
That way if this happens again, you can just restore it the way it was when you made the image. That is... assuming your SSD is not really failed.
May 27, 2013 3:03:41 AM

Thanks for your help. Somehow the problem has fixed itself after multiple attempts at repairing with the windows disk and virus scans. Disk check done. Now to sort out system backups to avoid future issues.

Ta
!