I am building my own desktop and have a quick question.

Kyle Traver

Honorable
May 13, 2013
I am building my own desktop and I am doing it slowly. I have the case and power supply and a few additional fans, no motherboard CPU, RAM or video card. Now I am about to purchase my motherboard my question is can I plug everything into it to the motherboard and power it on to make sure that everything that I have works? I apologize if this is a dumb question.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that is called "bread boarding" the system and is often the preferred method of pre-assembling the build. But you will need the CPU and RAM. I usually install the CPU, cooler, RAM and (if necessary) the graphics card while the MB is outside the case resting on an insulated surface. Then I plug in the PSU to the MB and card and hook up the display. I then try to boot to BIOS. You can jumper/short the 2 pins the pwr sw would connect to in order to start/stop the system.

If I get to BIOS, I assume the MB is good and proceed with the build. I may connect the HDD and check that it is recognized as well before assembly.

Kyle Traver

Honorable
May 13, 2013

So after I get my RAM and CPU I will be able to start it up. Thanks for the information. :)

Kyle Traver

Honorable
May 13, 2013

I am planning on purchasing GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB video card will a Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) cause a bottle neck?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Everything looks to be compatible and should make for a nice gamer's build. I haven't had any experience with that wireless card. If your PC is in a good location for signal, you should be OK. Otherwise, you may want to look for one that has the antenna(s) 'extendable' via an extension cable. That way you can place it in the best location for signal strength.

Avoiding RAM with tall heat syncs as you did is a good idea. The 212 EVO sits quite low to the board and has trouble with clearing tall memory heat syncs if they fall beneath it.

The Raidmax PSU seems to have the necessary specs for a 700W unit. But it is ranked in the last tier of quality by Newegg: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
I don't know if they have improved any, but Raidmax used to be cheapies.

Lastly, be sure to check out the SSD/Windows 7 installation guidelines here: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html
There's a similar discussion here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
It will help you avoid pifalls associated with the peculiarities of a SSD over a HDD, and it will help you get the best performance from it.

Kyle Traver

Honorable
May 13, 2013

I am in a good area for a signal so I am not really worried about that. The PSU did worry me at first but I have seen good reviews and bad reviews on it. I know you should not skimp on the PSU but it looked like an awesome deal hopefully it works out. The link for the SSD looks very helpful. Thank you for everything you have taken the uncertainty of this build away from me. I am now confident that I will be able to build this. Thanks again!!