Bitfenix prodigy build for NAS, streaming, and VMs. Advice?

flayman

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hi. I've just bought a Bitfenix prodigy case. I really love the design of this thing. It can house 5 3.5" drives or 9 2.5" drives. Seems perfect for a homebrew NAS server. As larger capacities find their way onto smaller form drives, the whole storage capacity can be upgraded at a stroke. I'm trying to decide the other components of the build. I want to be able to go up to 32 GB RAM at some point in the future. In addition to NAS and streaming applications, I'll be using this as a home dev server with Linux (probably Ubuntu) and all manner of virtual machines, so lots of memory is key. I might start with a midrange CPU, but I want a decent upgrade path so I'll avoid outdated processor forms and chipsets. I'd like the motherboard to provide a large number of SATA ports, even if they are mostly SATA II. Four at a minimum, but preferably 5 or 6. I would say that graphics and audio capabilities are low on the list of priorities but it would be nice to have an HDMI out in case I ever decide to use this as an HTPC. Intel or AMD? I'm not sure of the pros and cons. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

flayman

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Nor do I, but that may not be necessary. This ASUS board claims 32 GB support with two, although it's discontinued and the compatible RAM may not yet be available. I might be able to get my hands on one though. I did say "at some point in the future".

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/F1A75I_DELUXE/#specifications

flayman

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Ooh, that looks really good for this application. 7 SATA III slots is more than I thought I'd find. Other specs are also looking good. And available for under £100. Thanks, that was very helpful. :)

flayman

Honorable
May 13, 2013
I guess I made a n00b mistake and didn't mark this thread as a question, so I'm unable to select the best answer. I'm trying to work out how to change this.

flayman

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Oh dear. Sorry about that. You'll have to be satisfied with verbal kudos I guess. Next time I'll get it right.

TRENDING THREADS