Motherboard and CPU compatibility

Hichew

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Hello, I already have a EVGA Geforce GTX 650 ti 2GB, and I was thinking about getting the AMD FX 6300 as my processor, and Asrock Extreme 3 970 as my motherboard. I'm not sure if the CPU and Motherboard are compatible as I've read a previous post about those two that involves upgrading the BIOS which i do not know what it means, while the site says that the FX 6300 is supported. I don't want to taking any chances, so what do you guys think?

Hi,
If the board was manufactured after July 2012, then it would have the right BIOS version for supporting the 6300.
Supposing it doesn't, you can order a BIOS chip from ebay and replace the baord'e one (the BIOS chip is on socket).

Hichew

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Hi, I've done some researching and this is what i came with:

ASRock 970 Extreme3 Bios 1.60Manufacturer: ASRock

Date: July 6, 2012
File Size: 2.6 MB
OS Support: Windows (all)
Downloads: 304

So I am supposing this will work, and if not i will have to download the 1.6 bios? I am kind of new to computers, so please correct me if i am wrong.

If the board comes with an older BIOS, you can update it only if using a supported CPU. Most probably you won't buy in May 2013 a board manufactured before July 2012.
But supposing you do, then you can order from ebay a BIOS chip for your board's model (15-20$) and replace the board's BIOS chip. Or contact ASrock and they will most probably send you back a board with the latest BIOS version.