Sign in with
Your question

My DELL monitor is stuck on "Power saving mode" with my new PC.

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
May 13, 2013 2:11:54 PM

Hi there,

I've just got a new PC, but my monitor (2007 DELL SD flat screen) is saying "Power saving mode" and wont display anything, I've done the following to try and resolve the issue:
turn off/on, untangling/checking cables, shout at it.
It works on my old DELL PC just fine, and as far as I can tell the new PC sounds as though it's running ok.

Is it a case that my monitor is too old (there are no multiple plug-ins), or could it be the new PC?

Here's the new PC spec if it helps:

CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Moderate Overclock
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Water Cooler
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-HD3
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Additional Storage: NEW! Plextor 128GB M5S SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
PSU: 650W Corsair VS

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers.
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2013 2:49:26 PM

if your new pc's resolution is outside of the operating range of the old dell monitor, you won't get a picture (and normally get an "out of range" messgae on the screen)
use the on-board video and set the resolution of your gpu to something like 1024x768
how did you overclock the cpu without having the monitor to see what you're doing?
m
l
May 13, 2013 10:28:46 PM

dingo07 said:
if your new pc's resolution is outside of the operating range of the old dell monitor, you won't get a picture (and normally get an "out of range" messgae on the screen)
use the on-board video and set the resolution of your gpu to something like 1024x768
how did you overclock the cpu without having the monitor to see what you're doing?

With regards to the overclocking, I bought the new PC with all this already done by the company.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2013 11:20:15 PM

Does anything show up at all - particularly before Windows starts to load? Any sign of a "Press delete or F1 or Escape or whatever to go into BIOS"?

If you have a spare monitor does that work? If so, go into Control Panel>Power Options and change the settings that say "turn of monitor to save energy" or similar to Never. It might be set to turn it off after five minutes of apparent non-use.

Also, this sounds silly but it could be the answer. Is there an onboard graphics adapter which you've plugged into instead of the AGP card further down the case?
m
l
May 14, 2013 9:59:50 AM

I think I've found the the problem. My monitor only has a VGA connection, so my monitor does not have the correct ports for the new PC and the graphics card wont support it. I can either get an adapter, although I think i'll just get a new monitor, as it seems a shame to have a new PC and not be able to get the most out of it.

Many thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Goodnight and good luck.
m
l
!