Would a 720W PSU be enough for this build?

MelAlvarado

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Well... yes. I'm building my first gaming PC with these bad boys:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (OC in mind someday in the future)
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2x8 @1600 1.5V
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Fun fact: i got the Gunmetal Grey one and it's now discontinued. Instead, now there's a white one. I'm glad i bought it early)
Fans: 5 Corsair AF120 and 4 SP120.
Cooler: Corsair H80i (This one has 2 of the SP120s)

As you can see, i left out the PSU. I did that because, no matter how much i searched, i couldn't find whether or not a 720W PSU would be able to give enough juice to my system. More important, if it'd be able to handle one extra 670 in the future.

I saw in some site that a Corsair TX750 V2 would be enough, but the only place to buy it here in Mexico is a shady store and i don't trust them.
There's another store that sells the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 720W and it's a trusted store, which is why i'm considering 720W over 750W.

I'm also thinking about overclocking the CPU someday (otherwise i wouldn't have gotten the K version, hehehe...), but i don't know how much power i would need for that.

What do you think? Should I go with 720W or 750W?
gandalf_looking_for_someone.png

MJSBLUES

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Well it really depends on whether you're going to overclock, and how much you're going to overclock and if you do SLI in the end. But considering the stock 3570k is still great at gaming, it doesn't matter if you don't OC it after all. I would get the 750 anyway to be on the safe side, since you are planning to SLI, and that takes a lot of juice.
Hope your build goes well!

MelAlvarado

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Well, it would be a shame not to overclock it now that i bought it.
I was thinking maybe 4.2 or 4.3 GHz. I'm not going all the way to 4.5 because i read somewhere that my H80i wouldn't stand the heat for so long (Queen reference).

It is my plan to run two 670, that's why i want to buy a PSU that is capable of doing that instead of buying a new one when i get the new 670.

MJSBLUES

Honorable
May 7, 2013

I'm planning to OC my 3570k, with the voltage to 1.2v and multiplyer to 4.2GHz. 4.2 seems like a good balance between temp and efficiency IMO.
Good luck!

mace200200

Honorable
That cooler master unit is okay, you could run two 670s on a 650w, so a 700w unit will do just fine.

A real good unit for the price would be the Rosewill Capstone 750w. They're a bit higher quality, and 80+ gold rated, which is nice and it should cost about the same as either of the other two units. Assuming prices are similar in Mexico.

MelAlvarado

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

You think a 750W would be enough for GTX 670 SLI and the 3570K OC'd to 4.2GHz, or should i start looking for 800W?

Sadly, there's no place in Mexico where i can buy a Rosewill PSU. The Capstone was actually my fist choice, but it would cost a lot more if i got it shipped from the US.

------

Just one last question guys. Between these two, which one you think is the best?
Antec High Current Gamer 750W (Made by Delta)
Corsair TX750 V2 (Made by Seasonic)

1. Okay first of all, don't buy crap master power supplies, they are garbage.

2. It's not all about watts, the amps on the 12V rail are more important.

3. For reference my system peaks at 300 watts with a 670 and an overclocked 2500k.(See #4)

4. A good quality 650-700 watt power supply is more than adequate for an overclocked system with SLI 670s.

5. How much are you willing to spend on this power supply, there are a few good options I can recommend.

6. Did you already buy all those parts?

-If not you can choose lower priced memory, that's over priced marketing, you don't even need heat-spreaders on DDR3 unless your overclocking, they are there for looks.(Maybe help a tiny bit, but the platinum memory is just marketing).

-You can easily hit 4.3ghz-4.5ghz. (If you need to reapply paste) Use a pea-sized amount when installing heat-sink and let the weight of the heat-sink spread the paste.

-1600mhz 9-9-9-24 is optimal.

Recommended power supplies:
SeaSonic X Series X650
Corsair HX750
CORSAIR AX760i
SeaSonic M12II 650
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650-M
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W

If you cannot get any of the above and want to get the " TX750 V2" just make sure you get the actual V2, I think there was a V3 not made by seasonic now.

Edit: Okay done editing, made a few typos above too. -.-

MelAlvarado

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I think it'll be easier for me to reply just like you did :p

1: Yeah, i was looking for better PSUs and found out that Cooler Master sucks for PSUs.

2: That's why i was comparing the Corsair TX750 V2 to the Antec HCG-750. The Antec one has only 40A, but it promises to have 4 +12V rails, whereas the TX750 has 60A, but it's a single rail. (Little help here?)

3~4: But would it be enough for SLI and OC at the same time?

5: I'm thinking something between 100~120 dollars.

6: I only need the PSU.
- I kinda chose that RAM because of the looks :/
- Ok, i'll try to hit the magic 4.5GHz :3
- Yes, the memory i bought is 1600MHz and 9-9-9-24

I will look for those, but there's no place to buy Rosewill PSUs in Mexico and Seasonic ones are kinda pricey. Corsair is the most forgiving manufacturer when it comes to currency conversion.

I wouldn't recommend the CX600 for a good PC build like mentioned above, it's not electrically good, and one of the worst things you can buy for your specific system.

Shoot for around 60 amps on a single 12v rail if you plan to overclock and SLI.

I would say go for the Corsair HX750 if you can if the price is good.

I guess since you're really limited on what you can buy due to your region go with the TX750 V2, it should do you well.

If you see other good quality power supply units in your budget, just make sure it fits the above criteria.

If you plan to overclock consult the forums too about your temperature and voltage results and all so you don't damage your hardware.

mace200200

Honorable
Many cooler master PSU's are total garbage. Many of them are not. Like I said the one you have picked out, is just fine. I also do not recommend the corsair builders series. They use cheap capacitors and they still charge to much for them. Corsair TX is much better, but the thing with any Corsair PSU is they are alot of money, for nothing really. Again, if you say they're cheaper in Mexico then they're still a fine unit. People do complain about the fans on them though.

MelAlvarado

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I ordered the TX750 V2 this morning. I found another store that doesn't have bad reputation and it was even cheaper than the Antec HCG-750, Cooler Master SP M2 720w and pretty much every other option I had.

Thank you for your support, guys.