psu info please

smokeyd96

Honorable
May 14, 2013
i have a dell optiplex 320 standard it has a 280w power supply it recently quit booting im fairly sure the psu went bad i installed a geforce gt520 graphics card that recommended a 300w but i had a i think a gs 8400 in it b4 an the maximum power is lower on the gt520 the 8400 worked for afew yrs then idk exactly what happened to cause it but the fan on it melted what i want to know is what a decnt on the cheaper side psu i can get idk much about computers so idk if i need a certain type or what its a dell optiplex 320 not a tower it lays down on its side everything is factory except i upgraded ram to 1 gb im strapped 4 cash or i'd build a decent pc but need a psu to run pc an graphics card as cheap as possible any information would b appreciated.

braber95

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Not to scare you but Dell OptiPlex's have a tendency of shorting themselves out. I have the 620 and thought at first the psu was going bad. After plugging it in to another setup I discovered it worked fine. Tried using 1 stick of ram, none, changing CPU, nothing. Turns out one of the USB ports was mangled and shorting the board out.
Is the front panel power button blinking orange?
If so, try these:

-plug the psu into another compatible computer. If it works, your issue is a bit more complicated and continue reading. If not, go buy another new psu.
-MAIN ISSUE: check your ports; if there is anything wrng with them, you need to fix them. A broken usb will usually just need something to move it's bent ins away from metal (I used some pliers to bend my broken usb pins back, then filled in the port with epoxy)
-examine the motherboard for blown capacitors. If any are damaged, repair or replace mobo. If fine, continue reading
-unplug everything; cpu, ram, cards, power
-reseat cpu and ONE stick of ram and see if it boots up
-if not, try the replacing the stick of ram with another one
-If it still doesn't boot, check to make sure the underside of the motherboard isn't touching ANY metal. If so, it is shorting it out.

I need clarification of your post.

First to make sure about your model, state again please from the picture below

optiplex-320-form-factors.jpg

If you have Mini Tower - PSU is upgradable
If you have Desktop - PSU is proprietary and not upgradable. I can provide you with replacement part number and location to purchase cheaper than Dell.
Strongest video card to work in your Dell is Sapphire 7750 low profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002&Tpk=Sapphire%207750%20low%20profile&IsVirtualParent=1

So, how can I help you?