Dual Monitor Setup Problems

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I recently got a second monitor and have set it up on windows 7. the problem is I cant even have facebook up on my secondary monitor without having a game run choppy. its all good until facebook updates and then the game runs choppy for a bit then back to normal. While watching a stream on twitch I get constant choppyness, but my framerate (acording to fraps) stays the same. I have been stressing trying to figure this out for days!! Any help would be appreciated.

My rig:
radeon 7870 2ghz (running the primary/gaming monitor)
radeon 5770 1ghz (running the secondary monitor)
AMD 6300 @3.5 ghz
8 gb ram

I feel like my system should be able to handle 2 monitors

Solution
Have you tried it with the 7870 only? I use a 6950 / 8350 with 4 screens. Occassionally, my right screen, outlook and or WMP will blink a few times, but otherwise everything else is OK. Years ago I tried with 2 cards and had similar problems with anything more than simple static screens. I think it has to do with the way the CPU has to manage the memory of the two different GPU's. There is only one memory controller. It is not the same as having multi cores to perform program logic and the I think the memory controller simply becomes overloaded managing the flow of data to the main memory and to two different sets of GPU memory.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Have you tried it with the 7870 only? I use a 6950 / 8350 with 4 screens. Occassionally, my right screen, outlook and or WMP will blink a few times, but otherwise everything else is OK. Years ago I tried with 2 cards and had similar problems with anything more than simple static screens. I think it has to do with the way the CPU has to manage the memory of the two different GPU's. There is only one memory controller. It is not the same as having multi cores to perform program logic and the I think the memory controller simply becomes overloaded managing the flow of data to the main memory and to two different sets of GPU memory.

Solution

That and the fact that there is a bug in the 5000 series bios. When running more than one screen, the gpu will cause issues like he is experiencing when moving from 2d to 3d clock and vice versa. The only know way to fix it is a v.card bios flash

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

No they are not crossfired, And I will take out the 5770 and use just the 7870 tonight, I will post my findings later tonight, thanks!