motherboard help needed

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
hi all i am in a bit of a fix and hoping someone can help/advise me. I built my computer 1 1/2 years ago (so no warranty) and have been having trouble ever since. what happens is if its turned off unexpectedly it just beeps and will not reboot it says its the ram but have tried new ram and no good . have also tried taking everything out and sometimes it will start (not this time). have taken it to a expert and he says its the motherboard. so if I need a new motherboard which one should I go for as I wont too use all the old parts

any advice would be appreciated
specs below

thanks rik

amd fx8150 processor
asus crosshair v formula thunderbolt motherboard
ripjaws ddr3-1600 8192mbx2
ddr3-1600 4096mbx2 (not in just used to see if ram was faulty)
corsair h40
Kingston ssd 128gb (iam running 4 other hd )
inwin dragon rider case

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
is

iam in Australia andhave about $500 to spend

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

one beep and then two I thnk iam not sure but the lights are saying its the ram. as for warranty iam in Australia soo I think it will be 12 months but willcheck that

It seems that the warranty covers an extended period: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/923758
I had bought an Asus Motherboard from MSY (auburn) and about 18 months later the motherboard failed, I explained this to the Asus service centre at Auburn and they allowed me to bring the motherboard in for repair.

Then regarding the motherboard, have you tested it outside the case?
It is indeed a memory issue, but the memory controller is integrated into the CPU.
I suggest taking it outside the case, clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes) then start it with only CPU and CPU fan installed. You should get 1 long, 2 short beeps. Then power off and insert single RAM module. If still 1 long 2 short, then try reseating the CPU and the CPU cooler and test again.
I see you use a H40. Test with the stock CPU cooler, if available.

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
ok ty for that alexoiu will get I back tomorrow and remopve ad test it,and will also ring mwave and ask and see wot thay say

thebeans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

hi there I have just heard back from the supplier and it was the motherboard as thay are replacing it with a new one.