windows8 pro upgrade transfer to barebone laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

copitsweet

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Recently upgraded my asus g51vx r05 laptop(pre installed with windows vista) to windows 8 pro(using upgrade offer for 39.99 dollars) . This laptop died 2 weeks back. I have ordered a MSI barebone laptop(With no OS). My question is : Can i transfer my windows 8 upgrade to my new msi barebone laptop with no OS ?

Solution

Probably, in theory you should activate one of the qualifying Windows Installs on your new laptop, but I suspect that you will get away with a clean install, M'soft don't seem to be too fussy about this one, but if it fails you'll know why! (As long as the old laptop stays 'dead', that is)
To activate a clean install from an upgrade disk leave your disk in place after you install for the 1st time and perform the procedure...

Probably, in theory you should activate one of the qualifying Windows Installs on your new laptop, but I suspect that you will get away with a clean install, M'soft don't seem to be too fussy about this one, but if it fails you'll know why! (As long as the old laptop stays 'dead', that is)
To activate a clean install from an upgrade disk leave your disk in place after you install for the 1st time and perform the procedure to 'Refresh your PC' (Type 'Refresh' at the Start screen and choose from Settings)

Solution

copitsweet

Honorable
May 6, 2013

thanks .

But How will i do a clean install using upgrade version on my new laptop with no OS . Could pls tell me how to do it step by step. ?

Assuming your Upgrade came with both 32 and 64 bit versions, enter Setup on your new laptop and set the boot order to DVD 1st then HDD. Whilst in setup, place the 64bit disk in the DVD drive, and exit setup, saving changes. (Usually F10)
Select Language,keyboard etcetera, enter your product key when prompted. Proceed install until you get to the Start Screen on completion. At this point Windows will not be activated. Best course of action is to go to System (Type 'System' on your Start Screen and choose System from Settings). At the bottom of the page You will see 'Windows is not Activated'. As your Product Key was linked to the dead Laptop, you will need to contact M'soft and explain your situation, that you had to replace your system. Click 'view details' and 'Contact Microsoft Customer Support' (The Refresh method only works if the key has not been activated on another machine...)

Status
Not open for further replies.