Good gaming IPS monitor?

Zoladex

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
Been researching monitors and it seems Low response time IPS's are the best. One article said ghosting only becomes an issue above 8ms response.

Which leaves me with what one/type to get. I found S-IPS, H-IPS, e-IPS and P-IPS. Not 100% sure on the differences, but seems e-IPS is modern and also cheapest. Is that the type to get or is the response times ruined on that format?

Dont really have a fixed budget, as long as its sensible. i.e. a good reason why its worth spending more.

I believe the specs suitable for me are 16:9, 23", 1920x1080.
120Hz is for 3D only? or does it also improve image?
I heard DisplayPorts are the best to go for, though HDMI and DVI are fine as well.

CNet recommends this, shall i look at getting one of those? Its a tad pricey :s
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/asus-pa248q/4505-3174_7-35404261.html

Any thoughts/recommendation on what i'v posted?

Thx
Zola

I have an Auria 27" 2560x1440. It is a great monitor. It's rated for 6.5ms response, but I don't notice any difference in response over my 5ms TN panel. For $400 you can't do any better, assuming you live by a microcenter. You need to use either DL-DVI or DP for 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 @ 120Hz.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I was recently torn between 1080p, 1440 ips or tn 120hz monitors.... in the end I chose this Asus VG23AH ( as I didn't want the requirement of upgrading my gpu constantly with the 1440 plus I just don't have the room on my desk for a 27" monitor. ) I am very happy and content with my purchase..I went from an envision 1680x1050 tn panel at 60hz. the colors are so much more vibrant and crisp compared to the tn panel. I did not buy it for the passive 3d though tridef software and the 3d hotkey does a pretty good job ( considering I have a lazy eye ) prob the best purchase I made since the ssd's

Zoladex

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
Thx for feedback guys.

Hardline im in the same spot lol. I dont really want a 27" as i think its too physically big and the higher resolution would be more taxing on my GPU (+they cost a lot :s). I also read that lowering resolutions of monitors below their native ruins quality, a lot more than TVs.
The monitor u use looks pretty good, very affordable and is also 120Hz(aka 3D). I had original planned to avoid 3D as it seemed expensive, but least with that its an option for later :).
I also see you have the M4 SSDs. Im trying to decide over that or the 840 lol.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
@ Wanderer: what I meant was that gpu requirements are higher for 2560x1440 and not so high for 1920x1080. Zoladex: you are correct on most points however my monitor is not 120hz it is 60hz and can run at 72hz with some tweaking. I do however very much love this monitor and happy i made the choice. 3d was incidental as I have a lazy eye anyhow. BUT I am using the 3d feature to help strengthen my weaker eye and with work I can experience the 3d. keep in mind also, that if you have an amd gpu, you get 50% off the tridef HD3D software as well ;)

Zoladex

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
:(, i just been reading about IPS glow. Seems like its a pretty big killer for that type of screen. I was looking at IPS purely for the improved picture quality, but it seems that the only way to avoid the glow is to get an expensive monitor (£800+), which is out of my budget lol.
I know if can also be avoided by sitting far away or in a well lit room, but that not that practical all the time. :(, Might have to start browsing for TN monitors.
Maybe i'll get an IPS as a second screen at a later date.

Thx for replys.

I've been using this monitor for a while now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292

The response time is relatively low. The viewing angles are great color depth is great as well. I would say if you are into shooters the fluidity of a game will be quite strong on a 120hz monitor. And if you go with a 120 hz monitor I would spend the money necessarily to get a good one like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270

Otherwise I'd say you are fine on a IPS I play BF3, METRO LAST LIGHT, BL2 all shooters and no issues at all still as fluid as ever. However with 120hz monitors the fluidness is a bit more rich with FPS's.

Personally in the end I love my monitor it has ever input DP, DVI, HDMI, VGA. I would say it would be very hard to find another monitor in the same price range that can do what the PB238q can which is the little bro to the 1440p PB278Q from ASUS. Solid stand matte finish can rotate, pivot and swivel. Plus with ASUS there monitors are pretty darn solid on top of there ARR service where if something goes wrong during the duration of the warranty they will pay for the shipping to them and at the same time send you a new one while its being sent.

Also here is what you would pay in the UK for the two. Word of caution Dell is overpriced and poor customer service/support, Samsung is a bit overpriced at times, and LG doesn't always provide the best panels.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor (£188.50 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor (£467.06 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £655.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-14 21:45 BST+0100)

The effect on the right no I really don't. I don't get a glow like that I don't get a glow at all.

TN panels are made more cheaply the only reason I'd get a TN panel was if I was going 120HZ and with those benq is the way to go mate :)

I've yet to see my monitor get reviewed by a professional reviewer however the 27 inch version has by TTL you should check it out.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_pb278q_2560x1440_monitor_review/1

That isn't a bad way to go at all. However, given that its a monitor with no stand at that size of screen you may want to check if your desk can fit that panel. I just prefer having a panel that has a stand at that size however if you were to grab 3 of those you would have a pretty much frameless surround setup.

G

The best IPS for gaming is the Eizo Foris FS2333-BK. It has the lowest response time of any IPS of 3.4, and a dedicated chip to eliminate input lag. It's available on Amazon.com and has excellent reviews on prad.