High Frequency Low CAS Latency RAM?

parkepd

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Having looked around it occurred to me that newer high frequency RAM no longer had the low latency that DDR memory had. What I wondered was is it possible to produce memory that has both high frequency and low latency and if so why it isn't done...

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
The issue isn't that CAS Latency is "high" when it's a higher Freq its more along the lines of leveling equally. You can have 2000mhz ram running with 9-9-9-24 timings but thats depending on the model, what mobo you have, what cpu have ~etc. The main point is though is price. DDR3-DDR5 have increased in price and though there are small gains to be had, going from 1333mhz with 7-7-7-23 timings to 1866mhz with 8-8-8-24 timings only increases performance by 1-2% hardly noticable and not worth the money.

parkepd

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Okay so what you are saying is it that it is possible to have say 1866 Mhz RAM with timings of say 4-4-4-12 (something I stole off a DDR2 stick)?

jemm

Distinguished
I think the OP made a good observation -- I have myself also noticed that latencies in high frequency ram have increased lately.

I do not think it is related to cost (price) tough -- I think it is due the amount the ram people are using these days -- the standard is 8 GB -- going to 16 GB, which is very demanding on CPU memory controller. Lots of ram at high frequency, with low latency may be too much load to be handled by the memory controllers. So, higher latencies, as seen today may be a solution to mitigate the extra load.