installed heatsink wrong?

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
So my friend called me the other day to make sure he installed everything correctly on his new rig. the only think I noticed that he did wrong was he installed his stock heatsink with the lever on the bottom instead of towards the top. AMD FX 8350 cpu. will this affect his tempurature or cause any damage?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
When the lever is set to lock, it should not be loose, so it might be set the correct way if it actually locks into place.
If the lever is not set to lock, the moment he sets the case upright, the heatsink might actually tilt away (or even fall off) from the cpu causing CPU overheating.

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

not exactly what I meant. the lever is in the lock posistion, but instead of it being closer to the top of the case its towards the bottom. he installed it upside down i guess would be the correct way to state my question. it is mounted and in the lock position. I wish i could give you a visual to explain what i mean

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It's hard to determine not know what type of locking mechanism is used, even for a stock cooler.
In my store room, I got one that has levers on both sides (the lcoking postions is alternate) and another that locks down over the top of the heatsink and the fan is screwed over it.

Get you friend to photo snap and post it here, or email it to you to post here..

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
NO doubt the lever is in the locking position and is mounted onto the mobo, just didnt know if it mattered which side the lever is on top or bottom

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
if we want to rotate it, what is the best way to remove a heat sinc. I really dont want the cpu to come up with it

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The CPU is locked in with a zif arm and enclosure, so there should not be any issue.
Sometimes the thermal paste can get much like cement, just give the heatsink a slight twist before removing from the CPU.
Thermal paste is always moist when in good condition, if it is hard, dried or clay-like then it's no good. You need to scrape off the old and apply the new as per the instructions for that particular cpu.

Don't forget to unlock the heatsink.