Steiger Dynamics Announces Leet Chassis For DIYers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For only $148 more, you can have a window plus LED lighting and the case will look cool, but the shape is pretty impractical. It looks like there are no feet to set it on the side where the PSU is shown in the picture, so the intent is to lay it so the motherboard is parallel to the ground. It will consume more horizontal space than larger standard-design cases. This should be a key consideration for case designers.
If the intent is to fit it in an entertainment center, the height needs to be considered. This thing is too thick to go anywhere but on top of an entertainment center.

halcyon

Splendid
Looks like you're paying for the 5mm-thick Al. ...I don't think it's worth that but it is uncommon in the case market so they're trying to make up for the idea that they don't plan to sell too many of these.
If $798 felt to me like $79 currently does I might bite...but in reality...just...No.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
That's about the worst way you can spend $800-950 on a PC. You can build a pretty good computer for that price. Or buy a couple 27" monitors.

it's obviously for people who already have all that and just have extra cash to burn. besides, let's not forget:

your case is typically the last thing in your rig that will "expire". also, it is the first thing your friends and family will see. it also adds a unique, personal touch to your build, depending on how your mod/decorate it. I think far too many people forget that the case is so much more than just a wind-tunnel to keep your components cool. but how much attention/money you spend on the case is entirely up to the buyer lol

@vmem - I like your theory on cases and I'm a firm believer on how they are really a personal choice and something you can use for generations of hardware, but this case is neither desk-friendly, entertainment-center-friendly or floor-friendly by design. The amount of horizontal space it consumes makes it impractical for floor or desk and the amount of vertical space it consumes is bad for most entertainment centers' shelving configurations. Maybe if it had a VESA wall mount in the side of the case under the motherboard it would, at least, lend itself to a sort of artwork?

@Ubercake

agreed. honestly I hate the way this case is designed, which is why I made the comment earlier that if I were to spend top dollar, I would spend even more and get a murderbox MKII. it's a good idea to have a touch-panel on a case, but not in this implementation, maybe a few generations down the line we'll have more interesting versions of this

and how many people have a mill or a laser/water jet cutter at home? you end up doing the designs and sending it out for machining anyway if you want something done right... and yes, you'll probably spending a couple hundred bucks at the end of the day. I'll say it again, the case is about personality and aesthetics, how much you want to spend on it is completely up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.