Possible Hardware problem?

benmcc

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Hi guys, I've got a custom made gaming rig that seems stable enough but lately I've been having a few odd problems with it.
At odd intervals the monitor will go blank yet the computer will still run. Then I'll hear the typical 'click' of the hard drive shutting down, then it'll reset again.
This doesn't happen very often but if I'm in the middle of work or a Skype business call, it gets very frustrating indeed. More so if I'm playing a game! ;)

After it's booted up and Windows 7 appears, I'll get the old 'Windows 7 has recovered from an unexpected shutdown'.

Anyway, I kept the problem details and will link for you guys:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80070B24E0
BCP2: FFFFF880047E767C
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\051513-18111-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52962-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I've done a search around the web and found that my Locale ID is different from most so I'm a little concerned if its more a hardware problem than a software one.

Any idea what it could be? I usually check all my drivers for their latest versions regularly so i'm unsure if it could be that or something else.

Thanks for reading this plea of assistance guys, and enjoy your day!

-B

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The hdd is not supposed to click audibly, so that infers the hdd is in a state of disrepair and needs replacing.

Skype seems to be an issue with just about everrybody with BSoDs and yet no one will admit to it being the fault.
If you are using Windowes 8, you need to install Windows 8 version of Skype but not if you're using Windows 7.

Check your free space of the OS hdd, you need at least 30gb. What is your free space?
If you have the hdd partitioned, what are the volumes?
Any other Oses?
Do you use Virtual drives?

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade from a previous version?

benmcc

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Hi TenPC, thanks for the quick response!

To answer your questions, currently I have 581GB free on my hard drive. It isn't partitioned.
The only OS on this hard drive is Windows 7, no virtual drives at the moment.

When I ordered my PC the hard drive was provided with Ubuntu, but I did a clean install of my Windows 7 CD.

bellomycr

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
can u please post what is listed in the mini dump file if you need help getting into it i can help you it will help narrow things down a little could be hardware or software/driver

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The thing with any installed OS including Ubuntu, is that they create a non-drive letter hidden partition to store backup, restore and ID files. If you did not delete the hidden partition, it could be interferring with your system. A windows OS hidden partition is about 100mb but Linux (not sure about Ubuntu) is about 2gb.

When you are on Skype, what other spps are also open? Perhaps Itunes or Windows Media player (for background music), 5 or more tabs in intenet browser... Basically, you need to close those other apps when Skyping. Your browser particularly uses a lot of precesses for each tab opened and with IE, they do not close if you close the tabs, only when the browser is closed.

The monitor may go blank if the virtual memory is full or that you have your PC set tp sleep after certain amount of idle time. Set your Sleep mode to off so that you have to use the Sleep option manually.