Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Components
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Components
May 15, 2013 9:18:56 PM

I'm due for an upgrade soon, and I would like to know how well it will (or should) perform.

Major parts are:

- Intel Core i5 3570K
- EVGA GTX 660 (or) MSI GTX 660 TwinFrozr
- Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 RAM (or) GSkill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 RAM
- ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (still deciding on what mobo to get, suggestions?)

I'll be getting the parts in bathes, since I can't afford to purchase in one order. I'm thinking of getting the i5 & GTX 660 first, or the i5 and motherboard.

My current specs:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
- 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM
- EVGA GTX 460
- Biostar TP43E Combo (temporary board, and my last one died)

So yeah, would you say the new parts would be good together?

More about : 3570k gtx 660 good build

a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2013 9:25:24 PM

bathes? Does it have a link? What country do you live in? And what is your budget?
May 15, 2013 11:08:24 PM

^ I think he meant "batches". :D 

OP, your build looks great, the 3570k is an excellent CPU. Overclocked it actually out beats (in per-core performance) my 5Ghz AMD FX8350 (which is sad for me). You should consider getting a decent CPU cooler for that (and I think you might have to... my friend bought that i5 and it didn't include a stock heatsink).

Anyway, I love the parts. The CPU, the motherboard. My only complaint is the 660, not a fan of either. I've never been a fan of that card nor the 660ti. I think they are a bit wimpy for their price range. You should use the benchmark tool on anandtech to compare GPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=548

I kinda like the 7870 better. Look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why I think it's better:
- Better performance with DX11 tessellation (can you say Crysis3, Bioshock, and Metro?)
- Higher bandwidth (256bit vs the 192bit 660)
- Three fans, much better for overclocking
- Comes with four games right now on Newegg which is a great deal

I've always been an NVIDIA person over the years. But lately I think ATI's a little ahead in the game. I just bought the 7950 a few months ago for an extremely low $260. Max overclocked, it's neck and neck with the higher end gtx480. Runs Crysis 3 on maximum settings on 1080p. I think you will get a little more bang for your buck. If you are absolutely hell bent though on the NVIDIA cards, I would recommend the Twin Frozr. I have the 7950 version of the Twin Frozr. I absolutely love it. No noise on idle, easy to overclock. Not an nivida card but still, the MSI models are fantastic.

RAM, I personally like G Skill. Lifetime warranty, great for overclocking. I've put their RAM through hell and back and I've never had a bad one. Just make sure you do the timings/voltages right.
Related resources
May 16, 2013 3:36:45 AM

ksham said:
bathes? Does it have a link? What country do you live in? And what is your budget?

Yes I ment batches, I was extremely tired when I made this thread xD

Around £350-450 right now, as I've just got a temporary job.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2013 10:11:31 AM

Will you be overclocking? And I assume this is a gaming build?
May 16, 2013 11:46:54 AM

sedativechunk said:
^ I think he meant "batches". :D 

OP, your build looks great, the 3570k is an excellent CPU. Overclocked it actually out beats (in per-core performance) my 5Ghz AMD FX8350 (which is sad for me). You should consider getting a decent CPU cooler for that (and I think you might have to... my friend bought that i5 and it didn't include a stock heatsink).

Anyway, I love the parts. The CPU, the motherboard. My only complaint is the 660, not a fan of either. I've never been a fan of that card nor the 660ti. I think they are a bit wimpy for their price range. You should use the benchmark tool on anandtech to compare GPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=548

I kinda like the 7870 better. Look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why I think it's better:
- Better performance with DX11 tessellation (can you say Crysis3, Bioshock, and Metro?)
- Higher bandwidth (256bit vs the 192bit 660)
- Three fans, much better for overclocking
- Comes with four games right now on Newegg which is a great deal

I've always been an NVIDIA person over the years. But lately I think ATI's a little ahead in the game. I just bought the 7950 a few months ago for an extremely low $260. Max overclocked, it's neck and neck with the higher end gtx480. Runs Crysis 3 on maximum settings on 1080p. I think you will get a little more bang for your buck. If you are absolutely hell bent though on the NVIDIA cards, I would recommend the Twin Frozr. I have the 7950 version of the Twin Frozr. I absolutely love it. No noise on idle, easy to overclock. Not an nivida card but still, the MSI models are fantastic.

RAM, I personally like G Skill. Lifetime warranty, great for overclocking. I've put their RAM through hell and back and I've never had a bad one. Just make sure you do the timings/voltages right.

ksham said:
Will you be overclocking? And I assume this is a gaming build?

I don't wanna have to, but I may consider it depending on what it can do. And yes it's a gaming build.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2013 11:54:42 AM

Since you already have one stick of 4GB RAM, just get another one. I don't know the speed of your XMS3 RAM, so check what it is and see if you can buy one of RAM stick that I have below. Do not buy both. I've included the 1600 and 1333 ones.

You can mix speeds. So if you buy the 1600 one and you have a 1333 one, they'll run at 1333.

And just to be sure I'm not missing something, please check the voltage of your RAM. You can mix speeds, but you should not mix voltages.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.59 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£64.84 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£27.06 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£24.15 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£219.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £479.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
!