Google Introduces Play for Education at Google I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think education needs to get involved more in using tech. But the issue is can education afford to keep up with the ever changing direction of tech? Will it create a divide between district that can afford it, and those that cannot? Do you read anything about keeping things equal? No. My wife a teacher in public schools knows all too well how incomplete tech is in many schools. But many districts can barely buy books ( her district actually does not have some books for every student). So it remands to be seen if costs will somehow kill the tech advancements in many schools.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
jescott418,
there's already plenty of schools buying iJunk for their student's or allowing the parents to purchase them for their kids for use at their schools. If they can afford those, then they can afford $199 Nexus 7's and worst case scenario replace them every year or two and still have them be much less than iPads.
For the price, one ipad equates to what, 3 N7's?

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Hell, there were times (in the 80s and 90s) when it seemed like the Education industry (both public and private) single-handedly kept Apple in business.

Maya Wins

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

I think schools and teachers are starting to realize the power of "play" in learning. While playing outside and making friends is such a big deal in helping a child pick up social skills, nowadays, everything is online. This is not always a bad thing though. I suppose there are pros and cons to every debate but how about if we get to choose the video game or mobile app that the child gets to play on? I know the reputation for dull educational games is high but my son uses my phone to play a few of these mobile apps (http://www.jumpstart.com/mobileapps/). He especially loves the Madagascar ones because it's a movie he loved. Do you think this sort of learning should be included in the curriculum?

Status
Not open for further replies.