Asus/Gigabyte SLI GTX 670

chugot9218

Honorable
Hi All,

Posted a question previously and did not quite get an answer, however, today I noticed a deal for the Asus GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670, and I was thinking about buying it to SLI with my Gigabyte 670. I do not see any significant differences between them, except the Gigabyte model specifically mentions OpenGL 4.2 support. I found the Asus supports 4.3, I don't know if this makes a difference, but is there any reason I wouldn't want to SLI these cards? They are the same clock speeds and such so it would work perfect I think. Any suggestions?

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
initially when the GTX 6xx series was launched, they support open GL 4.2, with nvidia's new driver, they added 4.3 support, meaning all nvidia Dx 11 capable cards will support OpenGL 4.3, its not the hardware but the driver that actually does this.. its always the first choice to SLI two cards that are exactly the same (Brand and model) as they have the same core and memory clocks, but you can also SLI two different models of the 670, you just need to adjust their clocks to match using an OC software - MSI afterburner, EVGA Precision X, Asus GPU tweak etc

chugot9218

Honorable
Ok cool, I take it I will have little no issues considering the core, boost, and memory clocks seem to be the same? I was mostly wondering about cooling, but the Asus model exhausts out the rear of the case, so I figured it would be perfect to sit below my Gigabyte.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
if thc clocks (Core/Mem) are the same, i dont see any problem.. as for the setup, which card runs cooler when in single GPU setup, id put the cooler card on slot 1 and the hotter card on slot 2, and add a 120mm fan on the side panel to feed cool air to the cards

chugot9218

Honorable
Great! I am not sure yet which will be cooler, pretty different cooling setups, but I do already have a side fan blowing onto my card. I will either have to experiment myself or look up some benchmarks, thanks for the info!

Latest posts