Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] New build problems, possible motherboard short

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2013 2:22:22 PM

I started putting together my new build today, and when I attempted to turn it on, I encountered an error. The ASUS bios would appear for a second, the red DRAM LED would flash, the fans would start to power down, then this cycle would continue indefinitely.

I removed the Motherboard from the case, leaving the CPU, RAM, and GPU connected. The system now starts fine, and is sitting at the ASUS ez-BIOS with no issues. I checked for extra standoffs, but they all are in the proper holes.

I'm now unsure of how to proceed troubleshooting what was causing the error, and I don't want to risk shorting the board.

Thanks for any help you can give

~~~Spork

Edit: I should add when I first installed the motherboard I was unable to completely insert the 24-pin plug without risking damage to the motherboard due to the 6 standoff design. Could this have been the source of my problems?
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2013 9:26:08 PM

Could you provide the motherboard model number and the make and model of the PSU? That would help determine whether or not it is a PSU problem.
May 16, 2013 10:19:03 PM

Motherboard is a p8z77-v lk, and the PSU is a Corsair CX600. I added a HDD and a DVD drive and installed windows, and everything is running fine, but out of the case.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2013 11:15:47 PM

"I was unable to completely insert the 24-pin plug " ... I suppose it's much like any appliance, if the power pluig is only half in, there is a chance that some power will get through but any jiggle of the product might cause the connector to dislodge somewhat meaning that you don't have continuous power, you are not getting all the volts for al of the lines wires to the connector, many parts of the rig would become disable or not power on and you may cause some damage to everything.

Turn off the power to the PC, remove all the extra hardware power cables from the devices and the motherboard. Just the ram , cpu and fan and connect the PSU motherboard connector properly as well as the 12v connector. Turn on power, boot to bios. Save and exit without changes, go to Post and the "No hdd found!". Everything is okey-dokey.

All connectors must be CLICKED into place, even the ram needs to be physically clicked into their slots. No click, no good!
May 17, 2013 11:41:47 AM

Thanks for the responses, I'm having no issues now. I needed a lot of force to insert the 24 pin though, even when the motherboard was on its box. I certainly would've snapped it had I tried while it was still in the case.
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 2:37:07 PM

I had a motherboard where the condensers were right up next to the 24 pin connector, I had to be careful not to inadvertently snap off the condensers with my finger tips while pushing in the connector. Another motherboard, the 12 v connector was so tight that I almost broke my finger tips pushing it in lol.

Manufacturers should actually do a test drive of the connectors for all of the motherboards manufactured and just not the one sample connector not even embedded in the motherboard, at least do one that is on an actual motherboard, the sample connector is usually the better of the mass produced ones.

I hope now that all is right in your little world.

Happy computing!
!