Sign in with
Your question

Replacing Power Supply for Dell Inspiron One 19/ Vostro 320 - H109R, Y664P, CPB09-007A

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2013 2:50:03 PM

Hello. I have a Dell Vostro 320 that died recently (no power) and after getting it checked out, I was informed that my power supply needs to be replaced. I was told that the part number can be replaced with either H109R, Y664P, or CPB09-007A. I contacted a few vendors and so far the best quote I received was from CPU Medics, the part is listed here:

Dell H109R - 130W Power Supply Unit for Dell Studio One 1909 Vostro 320

They told me they have it in stock and new. However, they do not repair machines, I will have to do it myself. I have never opened a machine or computer for that matter and I am afraid of starting something that I may not be able to finish. I don't want to mess something up and have to pay more. I want to know if anyone knows the process to doing this replacement myself or is it something that must be done professionally? Please do not recommend taking it to Geeksquad or Office Depot, I do not want to spend that kind of money, I am already at my budget. Hopefully someone can provide some insight on this replacement asap. Thank you!
May 16, 2013 3:17:52 PM

The process is pretty easy to to yourself, but a couple things to make note of:

1: get a smal lbowl or two and save all screws you take out, it's a simple thing but you might be amazed at just how easy it is to lose those buggers.

2: don't try too hard to force anything out, most of the time, once all screws are undone, it should pop out. Unless it is like mine, in which case it was mounted funny and there might be a small tab that you have to depress to unhook it from the frame.

but it pretty much is this- first off, make sure the power supply has been unplugged and the cord removed for about 5 minutes to avoid residual electric charge.

Now lay the monitor flat and open the panel, this should be easy enough, maybe a screw or two, sometime these screws stay on the panel and cannot be removed, one less thing right?

Follow the cords from the power supply and unhook the female ends from the male ends of the devices cd drive, motherboard power etc.. and keep them pointed up so you dont forget them.

Now, unscrew the power supply from the case, it is probably seated in a metal bracket so find all the screws and save them in that bowl i mentioned, you power supply should pop right out

now take your new supply, and re-mount it in the same place as the old one, re-do the screws and re-plug each element back in, if you left those cords angled up, it should be no problem finding a proper place for the male ends to meet the female ends. Note the power to the motherboard needs to be plugged in right to the board susally, so dont forget that.

once you are set, tuck the undused cords in a nice empty spot (usually under the cd drive or hard drive)replace the panel and power it back up, if you did it all right, it should have no issues powering it all up.

does this help?

May 17, 2013 1:39:57 PM

Reanchi said:
The process is pretty easy to to yourself, but a couple things to make note of:

1: get a smal lbowl or two and save all screws you take out, it's a simple thing but you might be amazed at just how easy it is to lose those buggers.

2: don't try too hard to force anything out, most of the time, once all screws are undone, it should pop out. Unless it is like mine, in which case it was mounted funny and there might be a small tab that you have to depress to unhook it from the frame.

but it pretty much is this- first off, make sure the power supply has been unplugged and the cord removed for about 5 minutes to avoid residual electric charge.

Now lay the monitor flat and open the panel, this should be easy enough, maybe a screw or two, sometime these screws stay on the panel and cannot be removed, one less thing right?

Follow the cords from the power supply and unhook the female ends from the male ends of the devices cd drive, motherboard power etc.. and keep them pointed up so you dont forget them.

Now, unscrew the power supply from the case, it is probably seated in a metal bracket so find all the screws and save them in that bowl i mentioned, you power supply should pop right out

now take your new supply, and re-mount it in the same place as the old one, re-do the screws and re-plug each element back in, if you left those cords angled up, it should be no problem finding a proper place for the male ends to meet the female ends. Note the power to the motherboard needs to be plugged in right to the board susally, so dont forget that.

once you are set, tuck the undused cords in a nice empty spot (usually under the cd drive or hard drive)replace the panel and power it back up, if you did it all right, it should have no issues powering it all up.

does this help?

Thank you very much! Definitely helps. I will go ahead and proceed with the repair myself and try to update this thread with some pics if possible. I already purchased it from the link above and was informed that it will ship today so hopefully will update this soon. Thank you for the help!
!