Microsoft Issues Another Warning of XP's Demise

Status
Not open for further replies.
there must be a way for MS to send a warning message directly to every XP computer via a small "update" as the time approaches... this is a serious matter, ancient OSes need to die, and customer information needs to be properly protected, it's simple as that...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I'd love as much as anybody to move on to bigger and better things... but it's very discouraging when your alternative is Windows 8. Not sure if MS got the memo, but my office still uses the good old mouse and keyboard, not a touchscreen. If not for the corporate need for very specific versions of IE, we might as well just hook a keyboard up to an Android tablet. It's pretty close to what Win8 offers, being a touch-oriented interface and all...

softplacetoland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Trendfollowers. OS is there to serve. Not to whip your backs in some imaginary race. XP would be as good as it is if someone didn't decide to artificialy withhold support for new technologies, software or hardware, and milk some cash from voluntary milk donors. Sparkles and sparkle hunters.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I don't see what's the big deal. Businesses don't want to upgrade? Fine, use an outdated OS, and if it proves to be a security nightmare, those businesses will fail and disappear. If fears of using an outdated OS prove to be unfounded. then these businesses will save money and have a better bottom line.
Same with people using outdated web browsers, it's your computer, you use it any way you like.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I know the date April 2014 is meaningless for most, I work for a company which relies on Microsoft support of our enterprise for 100000+ computers. Our conversion to Windows 7 is going slowly too - 2000 computers/month rollouts. Will we be punished for our slow rollouts? Not cool!

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
If you really want people to upgrade put a discount on Vista, 7, and 8. I know I'd upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 if I could get it for like $30 from a legitimate website (you'd have to pay me to get Vista though). I don't have money to upgrade, so I'm sticking with Windows XP for now. It's a solid OS, I know my way around it, and it doesn't cost me anything unlike upgrading.

I think the blame is firmly on your company for not upgrading or switching to another OS before now. XP went into extended support in April of 2009 and Windows 7 came out October 2009. MS has been saying since 2009 it was going to end the extended support. You would think 5 years heads up prior to the EOS in 2014 is more than enough. You will be punished because of a lack of planning. As the old saying goes "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Its not like the world will end when they end support. The OS will work the same as it ever has.
Id say it will be VERY likely there will still be 10s of millions of XP machines running another decade from now.
If you are using business oriented software and not playing games, there really is no need to upgrade. Upgrading just because something is old, is dumb.
Especially when what they are currently offering is the disaster that is windows 8. Buy new hardware with windows7 instead of xp, sure. But upgrade just to upgrade, waste of time/money/resources. (again we are talking about non gamer, or power user who needs modern hardware, we are talking about writing documents, etc.)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I've run for years on a particular machine just to see if anything would happen with no updates...With Threatfire watching over anything that (insert Virus app name here) Comodo (in this case at this time) can't catch nothing has ever happened. I do a lot of crazy stuff on that laptop too (drivers are updated however). Of course it goes without saying it's not my main machine, but it has no issues ever. Everyone should run threatfire IMHO. It's a backup to your main AV app and is awesome in a combo. I already knew if you had something like this, and ignore updates there would be no consequences (virus wise) but just wanted to prove it. It's an XP32 machine.
I'd say you're only in danger (once they stop updating it) IF you have no protection like I've outlined here. IF you do, you'll likely never run into an issue assuming you keep threatfire/AV software up to date that is. They are aware of the HOLES in the OS and watch for them so no need to patch if you don't wish to. Part of the point of a great AV app is they assume you DON'T PATCH regularly in the OS so they are looking for your laziness so to speak. Threatfire will catch you even if you do it to yourself (I tested by running some exe files I knew would bite my butt...LOL). It detected suspicious behavior and nailed them. Nice ;)
Not sure I believe a company let you come in, discuss this with them and check to see if they had updates installed (nor why they wouldn't have them in). I'm thinking this is just sensationalism at work here. Not that I don't think it happens (it does), just that I don't believe how this went down in the story. Who says "they're going to support it forever, but I don't use the current support anyway...screw updates"? Basically we're to assume this is how this went down? Adamant fighters for xp and business people in this case totally ignore updates? Ok, whatever...This OWNER let you get hands on with his business machine? A quick glance and mine would maybe show the update icon, but not if I have 1 update I need to install or 100,000 of them ;)

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
So after 13 years of being the most targeted OS by hackers, Microsoft still hasn't found all the vulnerabilities?
Maybe Microsoft's lack of incompetent support won't really make it that much of a difference?

Wamphryi

Distinguished

Actually Win 8 was available for next to nothing in the first few weeks of its release.

melvar

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
If these companies aren't installing the security updates anyway, what difference will a lack of new security updates make? This thing people are so scared of happening in april '14 has already been happening every day for 11+ years.

Bill Wendel

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
It's not just a matter of upgrading to a newer version of Windows. A lot of businesses use 3rd party software that just won't transfer to a new OS without spending a fortune upgrading the software and in a lot of cases the hardware as well. Some specialized hardware still requires the use of serial or parallel ports to function and those aren't on newer machines. Some people have to stick with Windows XP even without the security updates.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
A BIG portion of the blame must go directly to Microsoft:
1) XP was the first genuine multitasking version of WIndows, and after Windows ME and Vista to compare against, XP was wildly successful - and businesses do NOT like to mess with success!!!
2) The upgrade procedure from XP to Win 7 is an unmitigated PITA, a real abortion
3) Win 7 was too expensive, with too many variations, and very confusing
4) Win 8 - no way, Jose! Not for businesses yet

moulderhere

Distinguished
I believe that those in love with windows xp will try to find something alternate and just as stable as XP.
I believe most companies do not want to spend the big money to get new computers for Win 7 or 8 for that matter.
I think an uprise in Ubuntu running on computers that were running on XP when XP finally goes.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I would like this as well, mostly so 64bit processing can take over.
But admittedly, I still use XP on some of my older systems, like my laptop and my currently defunct old desktop. The lack of updates isn't a major thing, not like you can't still install and run XP, you just can't promise safety of the OS... As if you could in the first place.
If the time came I had to update my laptop and older desktop's OS, I'd likely switch to Ubuntu (A version before Unity) and work with Wine. No reason to purchase and install Windows 7 on an ancient system with only 64mb of Vram lol.
My primary gaming desktops however use win7. Totally love it^^

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
For malicious virus writers, this is a great opportunity to target XP vulnerability and steal lots of confidential data after April 2014. Beware of your important data such as credit card number now.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
How to start this...
The mentality is changing and things are getting much better in general for IT but there was a long time that spending for it was put on the back burner. Technology was a tool that you bought once and it lasted forever (or at least that is how upper management looked at it).
In reality it can be looked at similar to car. There will always be repairs that are needed and eventually it just gets too old to run.
Most people are smart, when they buy a car they also start saving for those unexpected repairs and future upgrades. The people complaining that the price is the problem with upgrading were the ones who never did their budget correctly. We are talking $10 a year/per computer and you would have no monetary problems upgrading your computer.
As for those applications that everyone claims to have that only run on XP. I can tell you I have dealt with my fair share of them. The are a pain to deal with because every single one of them is far outdated and no longer supported by the original developer. As in, same story, you didn't budget anything in for upgrades or repairs.
Basically anyone who hasn't updated come April is getting what they deserve when they see their PCI compliance go out the window. Try doing business without running credit cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS