EKWB Debuts LN2 Evaporation Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
You have no idea how an evaporation chamber works do you?
A liquid is heated and evaporates, the vapors rise, cool, condense and condensation falls back down to be heated again. It is a self contained cyclical system.

I spent 10 minutes writing a snappy reply and then I decided to erase it all and say this.

I was wrong and you were right. Though it still seems overkill. No memory I know of on this globe needs that much cooling, even with OC.

And I can't down vote my old post. Mod or etc, feel free to remove it.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Guys you are missing the point of this, it is not a permanent or daily solution, its made mainly for benchmarking runs with sub zero temps. This allows them to hit higher clock speeds which cannot be attained with water cooling. Although yes it is overkill in most cases.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Only use for this is in combination with LN2 cpu cooling. Memory is the not the bottleneck of the system and really doing this to the memory may allow you a few extra numbers in synthetics and no real world gain.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
slomo4sho - you apparently didn't read the article: it is an evaporation "tub", NOT a closed system at all. It is a ridiculously expensive, extremely short term cooling method, most likely for benchmarking purposes only

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Gotta' love the commenters here worried about subsequent condensation of CO2 or Nitrogen gas? How cold do you keep your room? (Dry Ice (CO2) is -109.3°F, -78.5°C) (liquid N2 is -320°F, -196°C)

As stated, this is for extreme overclockers. There are actually professional overclockers and it is very competitive. Those guys are always looking for an edge.
Typically they have to rig something special up, because standard mounting materials are unsuitable for LN2. Specific mounting for extreme overclocking is just coming to market now, even though folks have been doing it for about 20 years.
If you are overclocking memory (and yeah, the pros do that) you will need something special to go over 3 Ghz. And yes, its for benchmark busting and going for world records. The cost for this is means nothing if your overclocking team wins 10 grand at a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.