8" Surface May Arrive in June; Windows 8.1 in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, I'm hoping they've updated it since the one in the acer aspire... and Haswell chips with decent graphics still consume too much power to be in a tablet. in a 10-inch, all I want is the ability to handle a bunch of browser-tabs, word processing, and maybe basic powerpoint stuff.

but I might game a little when I'm bored, and Temash will let me run windows based MMOs :p

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
If that little one isn't under $300, I don't see it making an impact. Heck, even that is a stretch, seeing as you can get similar sized Android tablet for about half that, so I'm not loving its chances. I also seriously doubt thy sell it for under $300.
All this as someone who really, really likes his Windows 8 Pro Acer Iconia W700 tablet. I'd like to see these things pick up, but MS ain't making it easy. I'd like to say they are thinking long term, but that's what I thought about the Zune HD.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it would be competing against the likes of the nexus7 and kindle fire, most consumers won't care that the tegra 4 will be a better preocessor they will only look at storage space and price, if it is over $250 it will flop and even then tha tis only becasue of the slightly larger screen

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
If that little one isn't under $300, I don't see it making an impact. Heck, even that is a stretch, seeing as you can get similar sized Android tablet for about half that, so I'm not loving its chances. I also seriously doubt thy sell it for under $300.
All this as someone who really, really likes his Windows 8 Pro Acer Iconia W700 tablet. I'd like to see these things pick up, but MS ain't making it easy. I'd like to say they are thinking long term, but that's what I thought about the Zune HD.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'd strongly recommend getting a tablet like that. Best combination of portability and functionality of any device I've ever used.

What I'd recommend though is checking out some of the non MS alternatives. The Surface is great - I've used one - but it's more or less the same device as the Iconia W700 at a higher cost with fewer bells and whistles. Not sure if it sells in the UK though...

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I've really been thinking about a W700, but if they release a 8" tablet with an x86 CPU, that would really be what I'm interested in. Sadly, Acer or another OEM will probably release a product I'm more interested in than MS will...
Dry

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yeah, the Surface products are all good and fine, but I get the feeling they're pricing like they're the premium brand when they're not offering anything more of substance than the competing Windows tablets no-one knows about. Acer has clasically been a crap brand though, and their price reflects that even when they do offer a good product.

The W700 required a network driver update when I first got it, but since then it has been running without a hitch. It is a bit on the heavy side though for using it like an e-reader for extended periods - same deal with the Surface. Not terrible, but I notice it compared to my Le Pan II Android tablet. I'm 100% sold on the Windows tablets for general functionality in comparison to Android/Apple, but waiting for an 8 inch tablet would be better for what a lot of people use them for.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Um... HP proved to Microsoft with their ElitePad that you don't need a 1366x768 display to have a really good tablet. So, I'm not surprised that they're seeing things a bit differently now and are updating to have a Small Form Factor version officially available which is officially sanctioned, instead of the "we're gonna do it anyway because we know better than you" attitude that HP (successfully) employed in Microsoft's face.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Ethan, problem is, it has never been about who releases the best product overall, best product for the best price, best product whatever. If that were so, Apple would be charging half what they do now in order to keep their lead because, simply put, for most people their product is not the best solution, and is FAR from the best price for what you get in tablets.

The Surface name doesn't count for much in the tablet world over all, but it's the big fish in the Windows tablet world. Much like casual users will say "Hey man, I just got this iPad! It has wireless internet and can play games and music and search the internet!" and have people recognize it like some sort of gold standard, if you're a casual user, the Surface is the closest thing in the Windows tablet world. If you're one of those odd and rare casual users who wants a Windows tablets, people will react to the Surface in a similar manner and have no idea what an Acer or HP tablet or whatever is.

These devices are "cool" and perception sells.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

A lot of people perceive that the iPad, and Apple products in general, are the most technologically advanced, most functional, best items for them on the market. Do you think that these millions of perceptions are the truth in the case of phones/tablets/MP3 players/computers?

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know, I know the truth is that Apple products use the same ARM and Intel hardware the rest of the world uses... best and most are usually assigned to opinions. And typically a consumer spends money to buy a brand, not a product, assuming that association with that brand helps them escalate THEIR own value as an individual. A $300 Android tablet with typically do a lot of the same functions as a $600 ipad, but the general opinion is that the Apple as better 'software' user experience but from what I've learned is that software experience typically equates to downloading 48 apps that you will never use, and then 5 key apps you use all the time, most of which are available cross platform anyway...

Dry

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.