Bulldozer or Piledriver?

Antvinder

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
So I'm currently using the Bulldozer FX-4 4170 @4.2ghz

But I'm installing water cooling in 2 weeks to make the system quieter and I thought I might aswell upgrade the CPU in the process...

But which is better the Bulldozer or the Piledriver?

The bulldozer fx-8 8150 @3.6ghz

Or

The Piledriver fx-8 8350 @4.0ghz

Or is there an even better AMD chip?

The Piledriver has a faster clock speed so naturally I'm leaning more towards that but I heard that clock speeds don't really matter anymore it's more about the multi threading... Or is that just wit Intel? And I will be over clocking once the water collier is installed anyway.

I know neither of these are much of an improvement to the chip I already have but there the best AMD's I could find... And It really must be AMD as I recently bought a £200 AMD Moterboard and to go out and buy the Intel equivalent aswell as an Intel chip is just too much.

I use the computer for gameing (World of Warcraft, Skyrim etc)

And I also do A LOT of data transfer a couple of hundred gig a day.... And constantly unzipping and compression large files....

I'm looking for something suitable that will allow me to watch video files whilst unzipping at the fastest possible speeds without lagging the video files as my old computer used to do...

Thank You

I would not bother upgrading the CPU if it is fast enough for you.

I would wait for Steamroller. If AMD is serious about their comment made back in late March 2013, then Steamroller should be coming this year instead of next year. I would assume that will be sometime during the last quarter of 2013. AMD stated they plan on increasing the CPU's efficiency by 5% - 10%. Meaning at the same clockspeed, AMD plans on making Steamroller about 5% - 10% more powerful than PileDriver.

Antvinder

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
... Huh that seems like a long way off but I could wait... I do want a faster CPU but I Suppose I don't really NEED one yet... And saves me a good £160 for the time being... Thank you :) I will look into Steamroller and keep an eye out for the release date