New graphics card issues

tgdpac

Honorable
May 17, 2013
My old nvidia 9600 was found to be "burnt out" by our local computer tech so he ordered an Nvidia Geforce GT 640. I put this in, updated to the newest drivers and low and behold it doesn't work correctly.

The windows experience index gives graphics a "1.0" score. Skyrim won't run because I get the message "Failed to initialize renderer" in full screen mode and windowed mode (and there is no selectable resolution to run it in). Diablo 3 says "We have detected your video card is not supported by Diablo 3" (which is not true)... CPU-Z basically only gives the name and memory size of card but nothing under "clocks". GPU-Z on the other hand gives full specs on it. I have removed all drivers and tried again. I got new BIOS driver for MOBO with no effect.

My current system is:
Vista 32 Bit
AMD Phenom X4 9550
MSI mobo: 7374
4 gigs of DDR2 ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 640

Under display adapters in device manager the GT 640 shows up and is in fine condition.

So basically at this point the card *is* being recognized, but something is falling short. I've literally reinstalled drivers 5-6x, wiping them clean, etc. Do I need to install windows 7-8? Am I one small fix away from making this work or is something fundamentally wrong here?

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

firo40

Splendid
Reinstalling windows would be a good trouble shooting option, but it could be a defective pcie bus on the motherboard creating these issues. If after reinstalling windows the problem persistes i would suspect a faulty pcie bus