I want to overclock my Intel i7 3770k

ChefoSLR

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Greetings,

I recently bought a custom-built PC and I managed to get a relatively cheap Core i7 3770k (initially I was planning on getting an i5 3570k). I've read a lot of threads and it seems everyone is overclocking with expensive cooling (eg. Corsair H100). I had the funds for a separate CPU Cooling, but it isn't as great, as you'll see.

CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 3770k 3.4 GhZ ( 8 Mb, S 1155) box

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master EVO 212

GPU: nVidia EVGA e-GeForce GTX660Ti FTW GDDR5 2GB, 192bit

RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 1600 MHz, Kingston Hyper X

PSU: 750W RAIDER 750 BRONZE 80 Plus, Fortron, active PFC

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H, soc 1155, 4xDDR3

HDD: 1000 GB SATA WD 64 MB cache, Black Series

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS- 1 Snow

(I'm not sure I need to list all the parts, but I'm not experienced in overclocking).

I've spent my time getting familiar with the BIOS settings. I've overclocked my GPU successfully and made a custom fan profile on MSI Afterburner where the fans reach 80% speed when temperature is above 60 degrees. I've tested my rig without CPU overclock and I can show you some data (all the games run stable at 60 FPS on Maximum Settings with Vsync ON, because my monitor has a limited refresh rate):

Crysis 3: 60-65 Degrees
Far Cry 3: 60-65 Degrees
Guild Wars 2: 50-65 Degrees

Temperature when browsing, etc.: 35 Degrees

I plan to take it slow and do test runs on prime95 before committing. So here comes my question: how much do you think I'll be able to overclock my core i7 3770K with this setup? (in the Intel Extreme Utility it goes up to 3.9 GHz currently)

ihog

Distinguished
Overclock the CPU in the BIOS, not through software. And we can't tell you how much you'll be able to overclock it; every single chip is different. Only way to figure out how high you can overclock something is by trying it out.

Latest posts