Make my own pc?

christheo

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hi there I am new to this so apologises for any errors, corrections would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a student and would love a mid range computer as my laptop is sadly drawing close to its end. So I'd like to get a decent pc with some decent (but not tip top range) gaming capabilities to have some fun with. Since money is an issue I've decided to make my own with assistance of a friend, I'm comfortable with the actual putting together but I'm getting nervous of some of the compatibilities of some of the components so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a list of some of the components:

• Intel Core i5 3470 3.20GHz Socket 1155 6MB L3
Biostar H77MU3 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 6-Channel Audio mATX Motherboard

• HIS HD 7850 Fan 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX XMP Beast Series

• Lg Internal 24x Bulk Dvdrw - OEM
Tesla 500W 12cm Fan ATX PSU - Black

Basically, should my motherboard be better, or will it suffice? Do I need to get the i5 3550 instead? I'm not too concerned about overclocking potential, to tell you the truth I'm a bit intimidated by it so was thinking about a H77 motherboard instead of a Z77, am I thinking along the right lines with this?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot

Chris

1. Typo: Intel Core i5-3[strike]5[/strike]350P.

2. You can't overclock the Intel Core i5-3470.

3. Get a PSU from a more reputable manufacturer such as: Antec, Corsair (no CX or Builder), Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, or XFX.

Intel Core i5 3470 3.20GHz Socket 1155 6MB L3
-i5 is fine for gaming and mid level performance.
Biostar H77MU3 Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 6-Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
-your options are limited with this motherboard but it should work. i would suggest a regular atx board unless you have a specific need for a matx form factor.
HIS HD 7850 Fan 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
-check gpu charts to see what kind of fps number you will get in games. personally i prefer nvidia and evga but your call.
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX XMP Beast Series
-8gb should be fine for your purposes
Lg Internal 24x Bulk Dvdrw - OEM
-should be fine
Tesla 500W 12cm Fan ATX PSU - Black
-recommend different brand. do a power calculation (search google for psu calculator). take the number you get and add 100w to it for a safety margin.

agree with ksham on all three points he made.

christheo

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Appreciate both comments, doing a bit more homework and have opened my options- got my head around it a bit more. Thanks a lot for the speedy replies, been a great help