CPU not shutting down completely after slight OC, maybe?? HELP

Shrewsie_B

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hey guys. I've had this new rig for about two months now, and a couple of weeks ago I used the ASUS auto-overclock function on my motherboard to overclock my CPU. It was very modest at 4.2Ghz, btw. After that there's been a couple of times when my computer didn't shut down all the way. The monitor showed no signal coming from the tower, but the light just stayed on. All I had to do was press the power button on the tower and it shut off. I didn't hold it, just pressed it.

Using CPU-Z, I've been monitoring the core speed regularly. It usually bounces from 1.6 to 4.2Ghz depending on whatever it's doing at the time (I'm quite new to this), but I noticed the two times it's done this the core speed was stuck at 4.2Ghz, unchanging.

So, is something amiss here with my CPU?

Temps didn't seem to be high (ambient or otherwise), and I wasn't doing anything crazy CPU-intensive. Actually, I was playing Knights of the Old Republic on Steam. Not intensive at all, right?

I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with one fan, which from my research seems like plenty for the slight overclock I did. I mean, all I did was press one button and the system OC'd for me.

Other than this the system has seemed stable, but as I am new to this I'm not sure exactly what else to look for. ANY ideas??

Thanks, in advance.

catshannon

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Sounds like you have Cool N Quiet Enabled in your BIOS disable it and turn the Vcore up on your CPU if you keep Blue screening or shutting down