After moving across country computer restarts after login

vottor

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hi,

I just moved to a new location and am concerned about my PC tower. Before I start playing doctor with it and testing all the connections, I thought I would describe the symptoms online and hopefully get some advice.

After powering up the PC tower and logging into Windows 7, my computer has sometimes restarts. If I check the error log, it claims it was an "unexpected shutdown". I'm not sure about this, but it only seems to happen if I let the machine idle after logging in, i.e. if I move the mouse around it seems to not restart. This last sentence doesn't make sense to me. It seems more likely that it is an intermittent issue possibly due to the motherboard not getting enough power.

My plan right now is to open up the tower (unplugged and having myself grounded), and remove and reconnect all internal connections. Hopefully the cause is a lose wire caused by the moving company.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
V

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I'd F8 at boot and test the memory, if there are no problems there, start Windows, open a Command Prompt and do chkdsk /f. It will say it can't lock the drive and you'll have to reboot to finish the test. Those are 2 EASY areas to start with...