Deciding which 660 to get. (or better card in price range)

travs2448

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I plan on building a new computer in the near future to finally put my old core 2 duo and gtx260 rig to rest. However as you can tell by my current video card i have been out of the video card game for a while so i just need a little help deciding what the best option would be.

My current build thus far is based around
A core i5 3570k
An Asus p8z77-v lk MoBo
And 8 gigs of corsair vengeance ram

I was originally looking at this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130835
- which is the Gtx 660 3Gb by EVGA which is "superclocked"

However i saw this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130833
- which is also a gtx660 however it only has 2Gb of Vram

I guess my main question here is do i really need 3 Gigs of Vram? I have 2 Gigs in my 260 right now and it seems to be more than enough. so is the extra gig really justified for an extra 20 bucks or is it better to have it than not?

I would be using this computer for alot of gaming. i play alot of minecraft which doesn't seem graphically demanding however i use alot of HD texture packs that range anywhere from 64x64 to 128x128 and beyond instead of the default 16x16 textures. i also plan on using the shader mod which requires alot of power. i would love to also play some newer games like crysis and far cry.

The last concern of mine is cooling. The 660 with 2 gigs has two fans and looks like it would do alot better of a job at cooling the card the the 660 with 3 gigs? Does anyone have any input on this? Also if anyone has better ideas for cards within the price of these any input would be awesome! there is some wiggle room as far as price goes. I'm also a Nvidea guy so any ATi cards would require a very good argument.

Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti. Much stronger and has better cooling.

Alternatively, the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 is a great card. It's only a bit more, but if you account for the three free games -- Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Far Cry 3, it's a bargain. And if you've been out for a while, that bundle can sure come in handy. :)

More VRAM helps in higher resolution. It should not be the deciding factor when choosing a graphics card. Some 1GB VRAM cards are better than some 2GB VRAM cards. It's like you can't judge a computer based on how much RAM it has. A system that has 8GB RAM isn't necessarily worse than a system with 16GB RAM.