Waiting for Haswell

Marc Brown

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hello Everyone,
Well since Haswell launches on June 4(I think), I am deciding on if I want to wait for Haswell to launch. I have a few questions that would be great if they could be answered. I would like to add that this computer will be mainly used for gaming, watching movies, and maybe using electrical engineering software (MatLab, 5spice or other circuit simulators)

1. If I was to wait for Haswell to launch, are there PC components I could buy right now that wouldn't really hurt me any(PSU, RAM, SSD, etc.)?

2. What can Haswell do for me? I am looking at non-overclocking speeds and the 3570K and the 4670K are the same. Am I not seeing something that would normally smack me in the face? I heard something about Haswell being easier to overclock and is better at it, is this true?

3. With the new boards coming out along side Haswell, will I be spending far more than I would if I stuck with Ivy Bridge?

I don't know if this matter but my budget is $1000-$1200

Regards,

Marc

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
If you're waiting for Haswell, you can pretty much buy everything except the CPU and Motherboard.

Yes, the Haswells don't really kick the ass of Ivy Bridge. But they're essentially for tablets and laptops anywho.

You may spend more, but you're future proofing for the next two years. Note that Intel LOVES future proofing. I heard that Skylake will be using a BGA chipset all together.

It all comes to if you need something new or you want to save with something older but capable.

Marc Brown

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Thanks for the insight.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Last piece of advice: Get what's best for you now. Even if Haswell was 40% than Ivy, it would take at least a year for the software to support it (games wise). It woudl help with photoshop rendering and things liek that. But you'll probaly upgrade your GPU in 2 years....then your entire motherboard/cpu in 3-4.

TRENDING THREADS