My first build: it won't turn on

alex555

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I read the guide posted on this forum and I am pretty sure I got everything right.

Initially, the computer would turn on and then shut down after 3 seconds. I changed the RAM with the one from my old computer and the computer started doing the weirdest thing: it would start, shut down after 3 seconds and then start again and repeat the process.

So, using my new RAM, I tried different RAM slots (with only 1 stick). I did that twice and now it won't even turn on.

Can anyone help me fix it? I am afraid I may have damaged the motherboard. I tried toching the metal cover as often as I could, but I could have forgotten once and fried the board.

Thanks in advance for your help!

My build is: msi Z77A-G45 motherboard, i5 3570k, PSU is Corsair CX750

Update: I re-tried with the old RAM and nothing happens.

alex555

Honorable
May 17, 2013

Yes, they are connected.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I had the same problem a while back. Computer wood start to boot up, shut down shortly after (2-4 seconds) and repeat. I can't really offer tooo much help, but I fixed mine by unplugging everything but the PSU, motherboard, CPU and a stick of RAM, and continually adding parts. This will either diagnose what the problem is, or in my case, fix it all together.

alex555

Honorable
May 17, 2013

It worked! I tok away all parts and I think I had messed the places of the RAM. In the mobo manual, they said only the 2nd and 4th RAM work for double RAM