PC does not boot with graphics card plugged in.

Thundastrike

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Hey guys,

I've got an odd problem, which I google-searched for but I couldn't seem to find someone else with the same problem as mine, so here goes:

Graphics Card:
ATI RADEON HD 5770

Computer:
Processor AMD A8-5600K Quad Core APU BLACK EDITION, Socket FM2, 3.6GHz
Processor fan: Processor Cooling Fan Aftermarket Silent Processor Fan/Sink Higher Cooling Capacity (dunno what brand)
RAM: 12GB (1 x 4GB + 1 x 8GB) DDR III 1333 MHz Premium System Memory
Operating System Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit
Motherboard: AMD A55 Chitset FM2 Socket Motherboard
Mobo also has: AMD Radeon Integrated graphics 1GB HD7560D (GPU Clock 760MHz)
Hard Drive: 1000GB (1TB) Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive
Optical Drive Dual Layer DVD Rewriter - Supports Dual Layer (8.5GB)
Case/Chassis CoolerMaster K350KWN1 Gaming Tower with 550w PSU

When I plug in the graphics card in, with the power connected, the following happens:

• CPU fan runs
    GPU fan runs
    Case fan runs
    Case lights up
    Computer does not boot.
    Keyboard lights off. Non-responsive.
    Screen remains black, and acts as if the computer is off (Samsung monitor: blue light blinks)
    I cannot turn off computer using the button, I had to use the switch on the PSU.

I connected the graphics card via a molex to pci-e 6 pin adapter.
When I unplugged the power from the card, but leaving the card on the motherboard, the computer boots perfectly.

I tried this card on a different computer (which is in fact the computer I took the card from), connected it using the same molex to pci-e adapter, and everything works fine.

I installed the same driver on both computers.

Is the issue the PSU? If so that would be odd, because the other computer has a 480w power supply as opposed to the 550w power supply the problematic computer has.

Happy to provide more info if you need.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I think you have PSU problem here, it seems like your card doesn't get proper power from PSU.
U already said that: "I tried this card on a different computer (which is in fact the computer I took the card from), connected it using the same molex to pci-e adapter, and everything works fine."

Thundastrike

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply :)

hmm would you know what type of PSU I might need (without too much overkill)?

I forgot to mention that I tried using the power supply calculator. Result below:

System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU Socket: Socket FM2
CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3600 MHz Trinity
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP
RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card 1: AMD Radeon HD 5770

Regular SATA: 1 HDD
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 92mm;
LED: 1 Fan 80mm;
Keyboard and mouse: Yes
System Load: 90 %

Minimum PSU Wattage: 208 Watts
Recommended Wattage: 258 Watts

What's more amazing is the site recommended me a 480w PSU!
I probably did some stuff wrong in the calculator.

I currently have 550w PSU on the comp.

I'm a bit baffled >_<

550W is more than enough to run HD5770, my concern here is your PSU might be dying since when you are using other PSU your card is run normal...
How old your current PSU? brand? model?

Thundastrike

Honorable
May 18, 2013

It's a brand new PC >_< Bought it just over a week ago. So I'm assuming the power supply is new as well.
The brand of the PSU is PENGUIN 550w 2.3v. Apparently it's a default one that comes with the case.

Spares

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hi Thunda

I've had a similiar problem, I just upgraded to a new video card HIS HD 9750.
Problem was when I installed and turned the pc on, the power came on but the screen was black and the pc wouldn't boot. Putting in the old graphics card, the pc started up without a hitch.

My power supply was a casecom, cheap and nasty 800w, so I spent $190 on a new power supply
only to no avail, same problem. Black screen, power, but no boot.

Finally after searching for hours different forums for an answer and silently ranting and cursing at everyone who said it must be a PSU problem. I came upon a thread which solved the problem.

I'll post the thread, but I'm not sure if linking to another tech forum is allowed here, so here goes;

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Graphics-Card-Installation-System-won-t-boot/td-p/2350507

Hope it helps.