Sign in with
Your question

Lga 1155 or 1150 socket? (Considering future cpu upgrades)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2013 9:43:28 AM

I'm upgrading my old motherboard and it's looking like it's going to be hassel.
(My Windows 7 is OEM so i'll have to call microsoft, find my windows 7 box somewhere and cross my fingers. Or get windows 8. Not sure)
Anyways...
*I need a Micro atx board with 8 Sata and the option for SLI.
This is what i want: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
Here's the Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm thinking about a 3570k and i know that will last me awhile. My concern is if intel will be leaning more towards the 1150 socket for the future.
What do you guys think?
May 18, 2013 11:15:39 PM

I honestly have no idea about Intel's future plans. I do know their past plans involved ditching me with an 1156 socket right before their i5/i7 revolution. I think an 1155 is a solid choice, unless you absolutely have to have the most cutting edge CPU then the current models should sustain you for years to come.
May 19, 2013 9:13:18 AM

Right now I'm gaming on an Athlon II x4 635 oc'd at 3.5 ghz so a 3570k will still feel pretty nice. I only play at 1336 x 768p resolutions with a gtx 560 ti so bf3 runs at 60 fps on average with mostly ultra/high settings. I'm not sure how much more fps i'll get seeing how bf3 is a GPU intensive game. Hopefully it'll give it a good jump...
I might just see if they release 1150 Micro atx board with all the bells and whistles i need (8 sata, sli option, etc..) but i doubt that will come out on a micro board right away so I might just go with th 1155. I'm still undecided. All i know is i want to avoid upgrading my next motherboard and dealing with a OEM windows for as long as i possibly can.
Related resources
June 1, 2013 7:19:16 PM

I can tell you that the 3570k is renowned as a solid piece of technology, which means if you buy it you have the kind of reliability and reputation on your side that Haswell chips won't get for several months. If you don't mind waiting to see what comes out over the next few months then maybe it would be worth waiting - I can tell you that, if the 1156 to 1155 change is any sign, the biggest and best things from Intel over the next few years will be reliant on the 1150 socket. So if you want to upgrade your CPU again in, say, 3-4 years, you'll need an 1150 socket then.

My biggest worry might be the motherboards themselves. The Z77 boards out now have withstood the test of time, the new models will have to take a while to get a reputation.
June 2, 2013 9:22:49 AM

pteradox said:
I can tell you that the 3570k is renowned as a solid piece of technology, which means if you buy it you have the kind of reliability and reputation on your side that Haswell chips won't get for several months. If you don't mind waiting to see what comes out over the next few months then maybe it would be worth waiting - I can tell you that, if the 1156 to 1155 change is any sign, the biggest and best things from Intel over the next few years will be reliant on the 1150 socket. So if you want to upgrade your CPU again in, say, 3-4 years, you'll need an 1150 socket then.

My biggest worry might be the motherboards themselves. The Z77 boards out now have withstood the test of time, the new models will have to take a while to get a reputation.

That's a good point. There are tons of solid 1155's out now and Haswell's pre-tests only show averages of 10-15% improvement. On the flipside, broadwell is said to be an 1150 socket also. If it continues at that rate (only assuming it also won't be a substantial increase in performance) there will be at least a 20-30% improvement over the 3rd gen intel processors by the time it comes out. The release of the 1150 sockets is so close it's not really 1155 vs 1150 anymore unless 1155's go on sale which will probably happen. For me it's not just the reliability of the board, but also the specs because I have a raid configuration. I've decided the option for SLI is nice but isn't really needed and I could run everything off 6 sata ports but 8 would be nice. I upgraded everything else now (SSD and all) and I'm ready to go from my VERY out dated motherboard to a new one. I'm Leaning towards Haswell but who knows if a 8 sata matx 1150 board will come out before I can't wait anymore and get a 1155!
!