Build Critiques -- Similar Tiers?

QuadrupleDeke

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Next month or so, longer if that helps

Budget Range: $800-$1200+ (not including the SSD, which I already have)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Everything, including gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything new except SSD, mouse/keyboard, monitor, and OS

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't care. There is a Microcenter down the street, if that helps.

Parts Preferences: Intel. Other than that, I don't care.

Overclocking: Maybe (never done it, but would)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (never done it, but would)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Quiet would be nice, but only as a tiebreaker. Mostly looking for good performance/$ and for no one component to be way ahead or behind the others.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I recently won a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD, but my current machine is old enough that it only has SATA2. So that's the starting point, and here's as far as I've gotten (the prices are all the current best prices, but I'm sure with a month or three of watching, most can be had for ~10% less):

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
$209.99
This seems like the current best value processor out there, and the price is often less than this so a little waiting might save $20+, right?

CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler
$59.99
No idea. This one seemed quiet and passable. Any recommendations?

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
$134.99
Not really sure what to look for in a Motherboard. This one has SLI and plenty of RAM and SATA3 slots, and seems decent for overclocking (which I've never done) without breaking the bank. Plus, it comes with the RAM stick below on Newegg (or it can be combined with the CPU at Microcenter for ~$55 less total after tax, but with no RAM). Any obviously better options?

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
$0.00
This comes with the Motherboard on Newegg currently, otherwise I might have gone with something else. Any reason not to go with this?

Storage
Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
(already have)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
$187.99
This card seems like it fits with the rest of the build, and is at a good performance/$ value point.

Case
Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case
$70.98
Definitely open for suggestions.

Power Supply
SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
$116.98
This is one I really don't know how to select. 650W seems like overkill for this build, but is it worth planning for upgrades? How important is having a modular power supply?

Optical Drive
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
$17.98

Anything stick out as being way over or under powered for the rest of this build? Anything incompatible? Or any advice at all, really, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan
You paid way too much for that SSD. I'd consider returning it and getting a 1TB - 128GB or 256GB solution, that would be a far more effective storage solution, and that hinders what video card you're able to buy. You have to keep in mind that SSDs slow down when you load them over 80% capacity. And on a $1200 budget not including the SSD, you are certainly able to get a better GPU. I'd suggest going for a 670 or a Radeon HD 7950 if you have the money.

QuadrupleDeke

Honorable
May 18, 2013

I won the SSD, actually. No way I'd pay retail for it.

I don't really have a price target I'm shooting for... just looking for good performance/$ parts. If it ends up being $800 or $1200 then whatever. But is the performance gain from 660 to 670 really worth the large price difference, or is the 670 getting the cutting-edge premium?

QuadrupleDeke

Honorable
May 18, 2013

What are the Haswell advantages for desktops? Or are you implying the prices for these parts will go down once Haswell is released?

Also, what other new hardware is coming out in the next month?

Thanks!