128gb SSD Over Use Concern

heyscoot

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Hey gang - long time, first time!

I recently had a machine built with 128gb Kingston SSD for the O/S (w7 Home Prem), and my data on a HDD. I am aware that there is a limited amount of re-writes on an SSD, but I want to see where I may stand on this issue.

The only "data" that goes on my SSD, is when I save things to the desktop. For example, things that I download from my email, or things I need access to for a short time. This could be a pdf, doc, maybe an wav file.

Am I asking for trouble here? Because I use that stuff for a short while, and then drop it in the trash, or eventually move it to its permanent home. I don't want to misuse my new SSD! :(

Thanks in advance!

popatim

Titan
Things like that will run just as fast from the hdd so theres no need to put them on the ssd to begin with

on the other hand, ssd's nand lifespan is likely to outlive whatever usage you can throw at them in 5 years at which point you are probably well past upgrade time.

heyscoot

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Thank you popatim - The only reason I do this from my desktop is the "out of sight - out of mind". If I see it on my desktop I act on it.

I tried moving my desktop folder to my E: HDD but it doesn't seem to operate that way, unlike My Documents, My Music etc.