GPU Upgrade vs CPU Upgrade

justanothercoder

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I am currently looking to upgrade one of the components of my PC. The problem is that I am unsure of which one is in more need of an upgrade and I am on a tight enough budget that I can only afford to upgrade one of them.

I was thinking that at the moment my options are to either change over to the Intel platform, which is better from everything that I hear, but the problem with this is that I would have to buy a new motherboard to go with the processor. That being the case I would only be able to afford a new processor and the motherboard and would not be able to upgrade my GPU at all.

My other option would be to upgrade to the latest AMD processor, which would mean that I would not need a new motherboard, and that would leave me enough money to pick up a new GPU. This would mean that I would upgrade both but I am not sure if it is prudent to invest more heavily into the AMD architecture or if it would be better to switch to Intel.

Getting maximum performance for the cost is of course what is most important to me but as I said I have wanted to switch to Intel for some time but haven't had the money to do so. My budget is in the area of $600 and I my currents specs are as follows:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
GeForce GTX 550 Ti (SLI x 2)
12GB DDR3 Kingston 850W
Corsair PSU Gold Rated

Any advice in this decision would be most appreciated.

Inficard

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
It would benefit you more if you upgrade your GPU. But looking at your CPU, you should upgrade to probably a FX-4300 or 6100.